[Az-Geocaching] RE: Problems with Mapsource datafile

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:24:01 -0800

>From: "Koch, Dan" <Dan.Koch@eclipsys.com>
>To: "'listserv@azgeocaching.com'" <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
>Subject: [Az-Geocaching] RE: Problems with Mapsource datafile
>Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:54:56 -0700
>
>After looking into it further, I've noticed that the previously listed
>waypoints correspond to the following caches:
>
>GC0255	ROMERO TRAIL CACHE By WJMYLES
>GC06AD	ALBORGS HERMETIC HOARDE By ALBORG
>GC072B	PINE TRAILHEAD (MULTI-CACHE) By TEAM CBX2
>GC129A	MIND YOUR MINE By TEAM SNAPTEK
>GC2ED8	LONE PINE CACHE By TEAM DAAS
>GC367A	AGENT POLECAT By TEAM SPIKE
>GC3B87	OBSERVATORY CACHE By TEAM A&M
>GC462B	COYOTE HILLS CACHE By 97TJ
>GC5E41	LUCKY CHARMS By OMNITERRANAUT
>GC6382	MIKKIS LAGOON By WHOOVEN
>GCA35C	AZ KEYCHAIN CACHE By GEORAPTOR
>GCB3C9	CONCHO FALLS By TEAM GEOTREK
>GCBA07	COYOTE HILLS TOO !!! By 97TJ
>GCE917	HERES JOHNNY By AZMARK
>GCA292	CANYON LOOP CACHE By WMNMBA
>
>These caches don't have the descriptions when the team-specific Mapsource
>waypoint file is downloaded.  They also don't have the correct information
>in the 'Status' column of the team-specific comma separated values file.
>I'm guessing those two things are related some how.
>
>Also, the following caches are appearing as 'Not Found' instead of 'Found':
>GC3FFB	YELLOW JEEP FEVER by CBX2
>
>Interesting note about the Yellow Jeep Fever cache...it looks like
>Geocaching.com has "lost" a bunch of logs from that cache.  The cache was
>hidden on 3/6/02 and the first find listed is for sometime in 2003, varying
>with each page refresh.  The archived copy on AZGeocaching.com has a first
>find date of 1/26/03.  I know for a fact that there were finds between
>3/6/02 and 9/6/03...Wyle E himself (themselves?) was one of the first
>finders!  My find still shows up on 'My Cache Page' but I can't get to it
>via the cache page itself.
>
>Anyway...anyone else having the same/similar things happen in their
>waypoint
>files or doesn't anyone use them anymore?
>
>LazyK - Dan

I have noticed the same thing, as per my reply to your last log on this
subject. As far as geocaching.com's cache pages/logs messing up.. I havent
noticed that..  yet. However, in the event I ever had a log 'disappear'.. I
can always put it right back, the same way I originally wrote it. On my team
web page (not updated yet, but still viewable), I have 'archived' all my
logs from all my caches I have been too. I have a local link to it on my web
page. So, it doesnt go to gc.com. There is a link to the actual web page and
I have a link to a local page on my site with the log. So, all is never lost
and I always know what caches I have been to and what I wrote in my logs! It
was quite the chore to do though.... I didnt decide to do this until a few
months ago and I had over 800 logs to cut and paste!!! :)

Scott
Team Ropingthewind