[Az-Geocaching] RE: 60C update

Joe Brekke listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 18:05:29 -0700

The nicest thing about the 60C so far for me is its ability to hold signal
with its improved antenna.

My Legend lost signal after about the 3rd step underneath the canopy of
trees up here in Oregon.  There's actually about 3 canopys overhead at any
given time and they can all be overhead at once.  (blackberry/brush, the
hardwood trees, and the pine trees).  This kind of foilage can make the
words "Coordinates seemed to be a bit off" meaningless.  A lot of times
underneath the canopys I was lucky to have a 250 ft. accuracy.  That and the
local's sado-masochistic affection for hiding caches that force you to
trapse through blackberry patches make things pretty interesting up here.  I
mean these things are MUCH worse than most of the cactus in AZ, except of
course for the Cholla...but I never had to find a cache that someone was
stupid enough to try to hide in one of those...though on my very first cache
hunt, I did end up getting into some of that...LOL...that was Hieroglyphic
Canyon and Alborgs Hermetic Horde, (I got into it at the top of the little
hill where the Hoarde was).  It was also my first trek into the desert too.
Good thing about cholla, you only get into it once.

Since buying the 60C I've only lost signal a couple of times, and I was
actually in a VERY covered area, which almost resembled some sort of shelter
that somone had built.

I know that this feature probably isn't something that is so important in
MOST Arizona areas, but is one that is very nice to have up here, and would
have been nice to have had in Michigan where I had much the same trouble.

And there is all the fun little things to play around with as well.

Hope you are all doing well in the heat...from the posts that I've seen
since recently re-joining the listserv, I'm bolstered to see that not much
has changed.