[Az-Geocaching] Movin on up!

Roping The Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 03 Aug 2004 19:42:11 -0700

>From: "Trisha" <trisha@brasher.com>
>To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
>Subject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] Movin on up!
>Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 18:25:38 -0700 (MST)
>
>So you think I am not good at hiding urban caches?
>Ask graldrich!
>Trisha
>
>PS I fully expect a few to not last long as it is a learning
>experience, but c'mon....

Trisha,

That was meant to be a private email to Jeff responding to an email from
him. I dont usually watch my grammar and such when I am typing an email to
an individual. I know them, they know me and know what I mean when I say
something. The text of that sentence was not to bash at your knowledge of
hiding urban caches. I was simply noting that they were your caches. I know
it didnt come across as such though. As far as my remark about them not
lasting long... this doesnt refer to your urban caches alone... it refers to
all urban caches (yes, except Galrdrich's and Tamo's uber micros!). most
urban caches dont tend to stand the test of time. Obviously, there are
exceptions to that. I always felt that if I didnt go for them right away, I
might miss the opportunity to claim a find on it. Of course, I am not really
into the numbers game anymore. So, that doesnt bother me. I reached my goal
of getting #1. Been there, done that and dont need to chase it again.
However, when you first placed all those PV park series caches.... that was
a great opportunity to make a run down from Sedona (where I am at
presently). A bunch of caches that would be worth the drive. I dont really
have a desire to travel very far for caches these days, unless I can find a
bunch to make it worth the drive. Of course, it was also an opportunity to
get out and simply do some geocaching. I do still enjoy it, I just tend to
pick and choose which ones I want to find now.

Over the past several months, my desire to do urban caches as greatly
diminished. Although, I have claimed a few finds on them. But, I havent had
any desire to make any big urban cache runs. Prescott Valley seems a bit
different though than the style of urban caching found down in Phoenix. I
have made way too many trips for an urban micro only to not find it and then
find out it was missing anyways. There are many factors that contribute to
this. A cacher being seen by a nearby resident or someone else and they get
nosy and want to investigate or perhaps it is the ol' keyholder under a
parkbench. That is an easy target for someone to accidentally stumble upon.
Plain and simple... when caches are hidden in populated locations, they
stand a much higher risk of being found by a someone walking by or kids
playing or whatever. Yea, there are exceptions to this and that is usually
in the way of uber micro caches. You know, those really really tiny
microscopic caches that cant even hold a respectible size logbook. I have
absolutely no desire to seek them out. They take very careful perusal of the
area to find one of those and in many cases I have been approached by
policemen or security or someone wanting to know what I am doing. yea, what
I am doing is probably legal and all, I just dont care deal with that. Also,
you have to expect that a cacher could give a cache of this type away...
simply because they are spending way too much time concentrating on an
object in a park or wherever and of course that is going to arouse suspicion
by someone. Thats just how it is with urban micro's. There is no way around
that, even though the geocachers intent is not to be seen.

I am going to forward another post right after this one that shares a post
someone made on a geocaching forum somewhere. It was forwarded to me by
another geocacher. I totally agree with that letter/post. Of course, those
as well as my thoughts above are strickly my opinion and how I feel about
urban caches and, in particular, micro caches. I felt the need to share
these thoughts since my private email leaked into the public eye :)  LOL I'm
not one to normally express my opinions about something publically. But,
again.. that was to be a private post. Of course, this is a geocaching forum
and since we are now on the subject... it is of worthy discussion.

Again, lately I have really been enjoying the occasional cache I have found
as I have been really only doing wilderness hiking caches around Sedona.
They are my kind of fun.

Nothing against your caches Trisha, just my opinions in general on that type
of caches you recently hid (urban micro caches). I am sure I will enjoy
seeking them out though as I do enjoy getting into different towns and small
towns to geocache. So, it will not truly hold the 'feel' of urban caches as
much as it feels in Phoenix.

PS.. Trisha... great to hear you are going to be at the Chris Ledoux
concert! I dont miss a CL concert anywhere with 500 miles of Phoenix! It
isnt uncommon for us to attend 2-4 of his concerts each year! I have EVERY
single one of his albums, dating back to 1972. A true cowboy singer! We will
have to try and meet up while there. I will be the one with the cowboy hat
on! HA! LOL :)  At a CL concert, that should narrow it down a litle bit, eh?
:) LOL  I might be found in Club 52 playing some poker before the concert
too. You could look for the guy with the cowboy hat on in there perhaps.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

Overwhelmed by debt? Find out how to ‘Dig Yourself Out of Debt’ from MSN
Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0407debt.armx