[Az-Geocaching] Sounds like Litter to Me

RAND HARDIN listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 04:46:34 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C42DA4.F2E077E0

I wonder if this "trail angel" uses waypoints to mark where his "trail ma=
gic" caches are located?  Is there a double standard here?  It'll be inte=
resting to see if now that this information has been released, if the Nat=
ional Park Service confiscates these caches too!  If not! then I see no r=
eason why geocachers couldn't place geocaches along the trail every few m=
iles.  We could put our own provisions (Band-Aids, games, puzzles, batter=
ies, etc.) in the caches.  The follow-up story could be titled: "GEOANGEL=
S through and through."

Rand
(RandMan) =20

----- Original Message -----
From: Team Tierra Buena
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 7:26 PM
To: Arizona Geocaching
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Sounds like Litter to Me

Does the National Park Service confiscate this stuff, too?
"From Springer Mountain in Georgia to Maine's Mount Katahdin, Pegg
enjoys a rock star's renown. The 59-year-old retired prison guard ... is
a "trail angel." =20
"During the nine-month hiking season, he distributes "trail magic" -
free water, food, and other goodies - just about every day to
through-hikers traversing New Jersey as they attempt to walk the entire
2,172-mile Appalachian Trail. =20
"He sweeps out trail-side shelters and leaves behind cookies, hard
candy, foot powder, Advil, and Band-Aids. =20
"He fills gallon jugs with water and leaves them on stretches of the
trail where water is otherwise hard to come by. =20
-Bob Ivry, "An angel through and through," The Record (Bergen County,
New Jersey), August 21, 2003
Steve
Team Tierra Buena =20

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C42DA4.F2E077E0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>I wonder if th=
is "trail angel" uses waypoints to mark where his "trail magic"&nbsp;<EM>=
caches</EM>&nbsp;are located?&nbsp; Is there a double standard here?&nbsp=
; It'll be interesting to see if now that this information has been relea=
sed, if the National Park Service confiscates these <EM>caches</EM> too!&=
nbsp; If not! then I see no reason why geocachers couldn't place geocache=
s along the trail every few miles.&nbsp; We could put our own provisions =
(Band-Aids, games, puzzles, batteries, etc.) in the caches.&nbsp; The fol=
low-up story could be titled: "GEOANGELS through and through."</DIV> <DIV=
>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Rand</DIV> <DIV>(RandMan)&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV=
> <BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT=
: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV style=3D"=
FONT: 10pt Arial">----- Original Message -----</DIV> <DIV style=3D"BACKGR=
OUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt Arial; COLOR: black"><B>From:</B> Team Tierra B=
uena</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, April =
28, 2004 7:26 PM</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>To:</B> Arizona=
 Geocaching</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Az-Geo=
caching] Sounds like Litter to Me</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>Does the Nationa=
l Park Service confiscate this stuff, too?<BR>"From Springer Mountain in =
Georgia to Maine's Mount Katahdin, Pegg<BR>enjoys a rock star's renown. T=
he 59-year-old retired prison guard ... is<BR>a "trail angel." <BR>"Durin=
g the nine-month hiking season, he distributes "trail magic" -<BR>free wa=
ter, food, and other goodies - just about every day to<BR>through-hikers =
traversing New Jersey as they attempt to walk the entire<BR>2,172-mile Ap=
palachian Trail. <BR>"He sweeps out trail-side shelters and leaves behind=
 cookies, hard<BR>candy, foot powder, Advil, and Band-Aids. <BR>"He fills=
 gallon jugs with water and leaves them on stretches of the<BR>trail wher=
e water is otherwise hard to come by. <BR>-Bob Ivry, "An angel through an=
d through," The Record (Bergen County,<BR>New Jersey), August 21, 2003<BR=