[Az-Geocaching] Help! Inaccurate Coordinates & Missing Cache

Robert & Linda Smith listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:16:28 -0700

Dear SquishyGecko,

I just love that user name!!  I can not comment on the missing stuff as
I have not placed a cache yet, nor have I found one that was plundered.

My wife and I use Garmin 12 GPS's which read the same on each one when
we are approaching a cache.  We have found that the accuracy between
where the cache is located, the coordinates listed and the actual cache
can be 15 to 30 feet different.  We have also found some caches where
the reading is dead on.  Some of the discrepancies could be due to the
signal strength of the satellites you are receiving and/or fad and
bounce from buildings, rocks, trees, metal structures, etc.  I remember
a cache up here by me, Prescott, that I swore I was standing on top of
it by the readings.  It turned out that I was about 25 to 30 feet away
and I blame it on the pine trees around me.  My wife actually found this
very cleverly hidden cache.  I trust my GPS to get me close and try to
use my hunting sense to find some of the better hides.  Another test you
can try is to go back, if you have time, to your cache, approach it from
a different angle if possible and a couple of times during the day or
evening.  Take an average of your readings and see if you haven't come
in a little closer to coordinates you have posted.  If not then a small
change in the posted coordinates might be in order.  I tend to believe
some of the people who have been caching a lot longer than I have if
they suggest a reading is off a bit.  On the other hand, the time of
day, surrounding buildings, nearby trees, over passes, etc. etc. can and
will affect reading in our receivers.

Bottom line, in my opinion, you may or may not have a problem with the
posted coordinates.

Best to you and yours,  Bob Smith, 1/2 of Team Petite Elite