[Az-Geocaching] trust land

eric listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:30:28 -0700

Teams AZJAMMIN, THE_FAMILY, and WUZZLES went on a cache trip saturday on
the East side of I-17 at Table Mesa Road.  We arrived at the frist cache
location "Lucky 4's"  and were approached by a man heading a hiking
group.   did not get his name, anyway he proceeded to harrass us about
geocaching and archeological areas, apparently this cache is near some
sort of  archeological site.... and then he questioned us about our
being there without a Trust land permit... we were unaware of the area
being trust land... nothing mentioned about it on the cache pages for
that area.... and we saw no signs stating Trust Land areas...after he
left with his group of non- geocaching hikers we proceeded to find the
cache... and then went on east to the tonto forest area (over some
incredibly rought s roads! )and passed back through later on the way
out  to find the other caches around that area.  Two out of seven caches
in this area were missing... we speculated that perhaps they had been
removed by some anti-geocaching group..... could be wrong but what a
coincidence eh?

so the questions begins... shouldn't there be a better way to determine
land ownership? is there a good website or some sort of free map
available?  can a Trust Land Permit be obtained over the phone or internet?

anyone know anything about this???
Thanks for any input....
AZJAMMIN