[Az-Geocaching] HAHAHA!!!!

RAND HARDIN listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 13:48:43 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C41CA7.0AC1B680

I think I see what the problem with the link is.  Try this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=3D4ce54865-1dc2-48ca-9b12-bb=
3562f936ca =20

Rand

----- Original Message -----
From: Koch, Dan
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 11:23 AM
To: 'listserv@azgeocaching.com'
Subject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] HAHAHA!!!!

(Sarcasm noted but since you asked...)

Think about why the 'Sloof Lirpa' and 'Da Bomb' were caches so
popular....because people wanted to read the logs!

There was a time when the online logs were actually interesting to read. =
 I,
and probably many others, used to read the 'Recently Logged Visits' page =
on
geocaching.com or the 'AZ Cache Activity' page on azgeocaching.com to rea=
about others caching adventurers.  Or maybe it was just me... :)  =20

But, as time went on, and as more cachers and caches got involved, the lo=
gs,
like the caches themselves, 'devolved' (thanks Tierra Buena...love that
phrase!) into nothing more than "Quick easy find. TN/LN/SL.".  =20

Don't get me wrong, there are cachers that aren't 'minimalist loggers'.  =
In
particular, RopingTheWind used to write what I called novellas and he too=
k a
lot of grief about it.  But, his logs were quite extensive and were very
enjoyable to read.  As a more recent example, look at Sprockets 'chain lo=
gs'
where he tells a story that encompasses the entire day, even about being
accosted by the Mexican Policia! :)  Look up a cacher in SoCal by the nam=
of 'Yrium' if you really want to read some entertaining logs.  Here's his
log for a mundane urban cache:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=3D4ce54865-1dc2-48ca-9b12-bb=
3562f
936ca

Now, I will agree that some caches are hard to find anything interesting
about, and I myself have had many caches where all I could do was a short
log for my finds, especially when it's a 20 cache day.  Heck, I usually
don't even get around to posting my logs for a couple of days and by then
some details have already faded.  But when I can, I try to do some write =
up
to so there's more than one sentence.  Cache owners get notified whenever
someone posts a log to one of their caches and for the most part, this is
the only feedback the owners get.  I know I enjoy reading the adventurers
that people have when looking for my caches, found or not. =20

Also, I'm sure that most cachers have caches on their 'watchlist'. Why do=
es
anyone put a cache on their 'Watchlist'?  To read the logs.  Either they
have found it and use the watchlist notifications to be reminded of it, o=
they want to find it someday and use the notifications to keep tabs on th=
status of the cache or to read about the (mis)adventures of those that ha=
ve
found it.

Another reason I try to write more than a sentence or two is that if I go
back and read my logs, I can easily remember the cache, where it was hidd=
en,
what was going on around us and any adventurers we had getting there.  If=
didn't write a good log.  The log that Scott pointed out was a bit
extravagant, but it made the cache memorable for me, the cache owner and =
the
cacher I was with both enjoyed it (see the cache page) and obviously othe=
cachers did as well.

I'm sure TeamAI and RtW could write some very interesting logs about a
convertible during a recent caching trip along the Beeline(?)... :)

whew...
LazyK - Dan