[Az-Geocaching] HAHAHA!!!!

Brent Milner listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:28:26 -0700

Well said, Dan. I enjoy the creative logs as well. I have always tried
to take pictures at or near the cache and involve those in the caching
story. I hope other cachers will bring digital cams along with them to
supplement their logs.

-HumNummaHumma

-----Original Message-----
From: az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com] On Behalf Of
Koch, Dan
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 10:55 AM
To: 'listserv@azgeocaching.com'
Subject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] HAHAHA!!!!

(Sarcasm noted but since you asked...)

Think about why the 'Sloof Lirpa' and 'Da Bomb' were caches so
popular....because people wanted to read the logs!

There was a time when the online logs were actually interesting to read.
I,
and probably many others, used to read the 'Recently Logged Visits' page
on
geocaching.com or the 'AZ Cache Activity' page on azgeocaching.com to
read
about others caching adventurers.  Or maybe it was just me... :)

But, as time went on, and as more cachers and caches got involved, the
logs,
like the caches themselves, 'devolved' (thanks Tierra Buena...love that
phrase!) into nothing more than "Quick easy find. TN/LN/SL.".

Don't get me wrong, there are cachers that aren't 'minimalist loggers'.
In
particular, RopingTheWind used to write what I called novellas and he
took a
lot of grief about it.  But, his logs were quite extensive and were very
enjoyable to read.  As a more recent example, look at Sprockets 'chain
logs'
where he tells a story that encompasses the entire day, even about being
accosted by the Mexican Policia! :)  Look up a cacher in SoCal by the
name
of 'Yrium' if you really want to read some entertaining logs.  Here's
his
log for a mundane urban cache:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=4ce54865-1dc2-48ca-9b12-bb3
562f
936ca

Now, I will agree that some caches are hard to find anything interesting
about, and I myself have had many caches where all I could do was a
short
log for my finds, especially when it's a 20 cache day.  Heck, I usually
don't even get around to posting my logs for a couple of days and by
then
some details have already faded.  But when I can, I try to do some write
up
to so there's more than one sentence.  Cache owners get notified
whenever
someone posts a log to one of their caches and for the most part, this
is
the only feedback the owners get.  I know I enjoy reading the
adventurers
that people have when looking for my caches, found or not.

Also, I'm sure that most cachers have caches on their 'watchlist'. Why
does
anyone put a cache on their 'Watchlist'?  To read the logs.  Either they
have found it and use the watchlist notifications to be reminded of it,
or
they want to find it someday and use the notifications to keep tabs on
the
status of the cache or to read about the (mis)adventures of those that
have
found it.

Another reason I try to write more than a sentence or two is that if I
go
back and read my logs, I can easily remember the cache, where it was
hidden,
what was going on around us and any adventurers we had getting there.
If I
didn't write a good log.  The log that Scott pointed out was a bit
extravagant, but it made the cache memorable for me, the cache owner and
the
cacher I was with both enjoyed it (see the cache page) and obviously
other
cachers did as well.

I'm sure TeamAI and RtW could write some very interesting logs about a
convertible during a recent caching trip along the Beeline(?)... :)

whew...
LazyK - Dan