[Az-Geocaching] Re: Been There, Done That

Scott Sparks listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 02 Apr 2004 15:40:30 -0700

I agree with Guy and Brian.  I think this is all a hoax.   I'm not
saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it's highly unlikely that a
virgin team did it.  I spent a full 24 hours caching on March 9th and
found 73 caches. I didn't get my logs completed until late the following
day. (I think it's curious that the account for 'Been There Done That'
was created the very next day.)  Does anybody know what time BTDT's logs
started showing up in the system yesterday?  I know there were some as
early as yesterday evening but I don't know exactly what time.  How
could they have time to find over 100 caches and still get them logged
in the same day.    I think an experienced cacher has created a new
account and returned to caches they already found.  Their motive is
either for the publicity (which they're obviously getting) or to yank
someone's chain.  Has anyone tried to contact this ''new'' team?
Perhaps we should invite them to the next event cache and recognize them
formally.

>Like I said before I think this person found them
>before or found them under another ID!There is NO WAY
>they are all new finds!
>

>Guy

And I agree with Scott on this one.  There should be a captain of a team
and the team captain at least ought to be present at each cache find,
particularly when you're trying to 'set records.'  A team that splits up
to find caches is fine, as long as you're not trying to break a record
in the process.  That would be like a pair of twins running in the
Boston Marathon.  One starts the race and the other one takes a cab to
the finish line and runs the last 1/4 mile to the finish-- in first
place, of course.   That, I think, would be unethical.  If I invited 100
people to join my team, then my team could easily find 300 or 400 caches
before breakfast!

As you can probably guess, I have a vested interest in determining the
validity of this team.  Don't let it be said that I'm a poor sport,
though.  If indeed, they are a 'new' team and they did accomplish what
they claim, without any under-handed dealing, my hat is off to them and
I offer my congratulations.  I'd also like to give  a shout out to the
Queen of England, whom I believe is also in town.

-- Sprocket