[Az-Geocaching] Gas prices, motorcycles...

J H/TEAM 360 listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 19:52:11 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1181675132-1065754331=:69454

Well, I haven't made anyone mad at me yet today, so I may as well jump in here. First, cost of
production is not the same in all parts of the country. Wages vary from region to region, for
one thing. Second, transportation costs are higher in some areas. Most of the gasoline in
Phoenix comes through Tucson first. More distance means more money, so gas is higher usually
in Phoenix.

Kingman is a couple hours north of Phoenix, and they have traditionally been 20 to 30 cents cheaper than us, all the time, so I can't understand the "pipeline distance" theory. The simple fact is, there are a LOT more snowbirds and vacationers down here in the Phoenix area right now, and they are keeping the prices up for as long as they can. So as a result, us regulars here in the state suffer. It's not free enterprise, it's GREED...

Also, I am a believer in the free enterprise system. Communism has been tried lots of places
and didn't do well. Free enterprise is simple. As a merchant, my job is to buy as cheaply as
I can and charge as much as I can get. That's free enterprise. All of you who work for a wage
practice it every day. You want as much salary or hourly wage as you can get. If you
currently make $15 an hour and someone offers you $25 an hour, I don't imagine you are going to
say, "Maybe I should turn it down, because I'm not worth that much." Nope, you are worth as
much as you can get. That's free enterprise. Same with gas or any other product. It is worth
whatever the merchant can get you to pay.

For every product there is a price point that maximizes profit. As you raise the price, sales
drop while profit on each unit rises. Raising prices will only increase total profit as long
as sales don't drop too much. Somewhere is a magic number that puts the most dollars of profit
in your pocket. If you are a merchant, that's what you should charge.

By the way, gasoline is imported from great distances, heavily regulated during processing,
shipping, and final delivery to the consumer, and still costs less than almost anything else.
Try to buy a gallon of soda, milk, orange juice, or even water for what you pay for gasoline.

Yea, but then again, I don't buy 20 gallons of oj or milk all at once...yet no matter how much they jack up the price of gas, they KNOW that we are still gonna have to buy it, and like suckers, we keep on paying..what we need is an alternative-powered form of transportation..and just where is the Iraqi oil? Where was the Kuwaiti oil they promised us, when we saved them the first time, back in 90? You and I sure didn't see it, but you can bet the American Oil companies did, they just didn't pass the savings onto us...again, GREED...

Funny how people look at things differently. Mike and I refer to motorcycles as organ donors. Can't tell we work in the medical field.

Gee, thanks. I just bought a bike. First thing I did was to pick up a donor card at the DMV.

Brian Casteel <bcasteel@cox.net> wrote:

This time of year, that's what a motorcycle is for. As much as I hate the
guys on crotch rockets (the problems they cause for my officers...and me),
I'd love the chance just once to hit an open stretch of highway and top one
out.

Brian
Team A.I.

It's not a crotch rocket, but you are welcome to take it for a spin. It's fun. 6-speed gearbox. Let it wind out. I love smoking them punks in their lowrider Honda Accords with the noisy muffler tailpipes....hehe...

--0-1181675132-1065754331=:69454

<DIV><BR><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<P>Well, I haven't made anyone mad at me yet today, so I may as well jump in here. First, cost of<BR>production is not the same in all parts of the country. Wages vary from region to region, for<BR>one thing. Second, transportation costs are higher in some areas. Most of the gasoline in<BR>Phoenix comes through Tucson first. More distance means more money, so gas is higher usually<BR>in Phoenix.</P>
<P><FONT color=#ff0000><STRONG>Kingman is a couple hours north of Phoenix, and they have traditionally been 20 to 30 cents cheaper than us, all the time, so I can't understand the "pipeline distance" theory. The simple fact is, there are a&nbsp;LOT more snowbirds and vacationers down here in the Phoenix area right now, and they are keeping the prices up for as long as they can. So as a result, us regulars here in the state suffer. It's not free enterprise, it's GREED...<BR></STRONG></FONT><BR>Also, I am a believer in the free enterprise system. Communism has been tried lots of places<BR>and didn't do well. Free enterprise is simple. As a merchant, my job is to buy as cheaply as<BR>I can and charge as much as I can get. That's free enterprise. All of you who work for a wage<BR>practice it every day. You want as much salary or hourly wage as you can get. If you<BR>currently make $15 an hour and someone offers you $25 an hour, I don't imagine you are going to<BR>say, "Maybe I sh
 ould
 turn it down, because I'm not worth that much." Nope, you are worth as<BR>much as you can get. That's free enterprise. Same with gas or any other product. It is worth<BR>whatever the merchant can get you to pay.<BR><BR>For every product there is a price point that maximizes profit. As you raise the price, sales<BR>drop while profit on each unit rises. Raising prices will only increase total profit as long<BR>as sales don't drop too much. Somewhere is a magic number that puts the most dollars of profit<BR>in your pocket. If you are a merchant, that's what you should charge.<BR><BR>By the way, gasoline is imported from great distances, heavily regulated during processing,<BR>shipping, and final delivery to the consumer, and still costs less than almost anything else.<BR>Try to buy a gallon of soda, milk, orange juice, or even water for what you pay for gasoline.</P>
<P><FONT color=#ff0000><STRONG>Yea, but then again, I don't buy 20 gallons of oj or milk all at once...yet no matter how much they jack up the price of gas, they KNOW that we are still gonna have to buy it, and like suckers, we keep on paying..what we need is an alternative-powered form of transportation..and just where is the Iraqi oil? Where was the Kuwaiti oil they promised us, when we saved them the first time, back in 90? You and I sure didn't see it, but you can bet the American Oil companies did, they just didn't pass the savings onto us...again, GREED...<BR></STRONG></FONT></P>
<P>Funny how people look at things differently. Mike and I refer to motorcycles as organ donors. Can't tell we work in the medical field.</P>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#ff0000><STRONG>Gee, thanks. I just bought a bike. First thing I did was to pick up a donor card at the DMV.<BR></STRONG></FONT><BR><B><I>Brian Casteel &lt;bcasteel@cox.net&gt;</I></B> wrote: </DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<P>This time of year, that's what a motorcycle is for. As much as I hate the<BR>guys on crotch rockets (the problems they cause for my officers...and me),<BR>I'd love the chance just once to hit an open stretch of highway and top one<BR>out.</P>
<P>Brian<BR>Team A.I.</P>
<P><BR><STRONG><FONT color=#ff0000>It's not a crotch rocket, but you are welcome to take it for a spin. It's fun. 6-speed gearbox. Let it wind out. I love smoking them punks in their lowrider Honda Accords with the noisy muffler tailpipes....hehe...</FONT></STRONG><BR><BR></P></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-1181675132-1065754331=:69454--