[Az-Geocaching] Advice

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:39:49 -0800

>From: Karen <karenusa2007@yahoo.com>
>To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
>Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Advice
>Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 06:27:42 -0800 (PST)
>
>So hooking up to a pc or having map display is not that important?
>
>Brian Casteel <bcasteel@cox.net> wrote:A yellow etrex would be a great
>starter.
>
>Brian
>Team A.I.

In many years of using GPS's... and several different models and a couple
different brands, I would not even consider a GPS without mapping options.
But, that is what I want to have to make life easier for me. But, these are
just options and I probably could do everything I do know on the basic
yellow Etrex. (I am using an Etrex Legend right now). Although, it wouldnt
be as easy to work with, for me anyways.

However, your wallet needs to do the talking here! If you are considering
the Etrex line of GPS's (and I think these are great little GPS's at great
prices and do all the stuff the most expensive GPS's do), you have a great
expanse of options and prices to choose from. The yellow xtrex will take you
to a geocache and back again. What more do you really need? You can connect
a basic yellow etrex up to a PC and download/upload waypoints and track.
But, there are no maps. There are two other models up from that that will do
a bit more. The Legend and the Vista (the two top of the line Etrex's) have
mapping capabilities. The Legend, I think, is the best bargain. It has 8mb
of map storage, which is a decent amount of storage. You can download Garmin
Mapsouce maps to/from your GPS. Topo, street, etc. The Vista has a couple
more really sweet options and 24mb of map storage. Of course, there is a
pretty big difference in price. I too would like to pick me up a Vista in
the near future. But, I dont think the difference in price for the extra
'not necessary' options warrants a purchase. Although, the 24mb of map
storage is nice as you can fit almost the entire state of AZ on it and dont
have to switch maps all the time. The basic yellow etrex is like $100 in
stores (?). You can probably find it on Ebay a bit cheaper yet. The Legend
can be had in stores for under $200 and you will find it on brand new on
Ebay for around $150. If you can foot the extra $50... I would buy the
Legend. The base maps that come with the Etrex Legend and Vista are
absolutely worthless (IMHO). So, if you buy these two models, you also
pretty much need to purchase a Mapsource CD. Again, another $100. So, your
total investment is getting a bit pricy over the yellow etrex.

The maps are a sweet option if you do alot of wilderness caching, as you can
'see' what is ahead of you. A cache might only be 0.30 mile away, but there
might be a canyon in between! The topo maps in your GPS will let you see
that before you make the hike. It will also allow you to 'see' the easiest
routes. Again, with this though, you need Garmin Mapsource software, which
will run you another $100.

If you cant afford that, the basic yellow Etrex will do just fine though! It
is a good starter unit, IMHO.

If you want a REALLY sweet GPS... go to Sporty's Pilot Catalog (it might be
on their website too: sportys.com). There is a Garmin GPSMAP 295. It has a
FULL COLOR display and a fairly large screen. It costs $1349.00! This is a
handheld unit (OUCH!). It is more of an aviation unit though and has
aviation maps/databases already pre-loaded. But, it excepts Mapsource maps
just like the other Garmin outdoor GPS's do. Although it would look REALLY
SWEET sitting on my truck dash!!!

:)

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

MSN Messenger with backgrounds, emoticons and more.
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_customize