[Az-Geocaching] off topic e-mail question

Steven Stringham listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 07:19:41 -0700 (MST)

> THATS SIMPLY NOT TRUE!!!  I We've gone out of our way to protect
> everyone e-mail address as much as possible.  I protect everyone privacy
> like I would protect my own.

And we really appreciate it! You have done a lot for us, and we thank you
for that.

> The address list is NOT published on purpose to prevent privacy and SPAM
> problems, and the archives have all the e-mail addresses removed from
> the message, leaving just the person's name that posted it.  The ONLY 2
> ways I can think of that would allow a spammer to get ahold of any
> e-mail address' off this list would be to either subscribe to the list
> itself, which would only get them a few e-mail addresses because the
> vast majority of the people on this list never actually post anything.
> That would end up being too much work for suck a low payout, so they
> probably wouldn't do it.  The other way, and the more likely way, would
> be to crawl through the archives and look for people that signed their
> messages with an e-mail address.

> I would recommend that if you want to sign messages with your e-mail
> address, that you type it our like "person at service dot com".  That
> has been found to be an effective way of stopping spam.

This can help - kinda. But, if people copy the full message in replies,
then the previous email address is exposed in the archives.

Spamassassin makes a huge difference, especially the basian filters
portion. I am running it at my gateway at the office (about 400 employees
at the firm) and it catches about 90% of all spam. However, this is out of
about 10,000+ emails per day inbound. I am seeing about 52% of our inbound
mail being <b>marked</b> as spam. And it keeps going up. So, the scams,
and body part enhancements, etc. are just increasing in number. It is not
a conspiracy against anybody in particular, just against us all!

Steven Stringham
StringCachers

http://stringham-family.org/