[Az-Geocaching] Special equipment

Eric Quinn listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 9 May 2003 12:11:39 -0700 (PDT)

--- Terry Hernlund <thernlund@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe everyone ought to read the description and not
> take the rating for static.
>
> -T.
> [General Bracket]

Terrain and Difficulty are often used as filtering
tools. There's no way I'd take my daughter to a cache
rated as a 4 or higher terrain. Maybe you have the
time and inclination to read throughthe descriptions
of, what, is AZ over 1000 caches yet? But I certainly
don't.

If the ratings are consistent, and people stop
branching off on their own, then it becomes a lot
easier to search for caches.  When people do their own
thing and there is no consistency, finding appropriate
caches to go after is more work than fun.

Think of it this way, would you get upset if you went
to a four step multi-stage, that said you needed to
bring a calculator, with a 1/2 rating and discovered
the last stage required you to do calculus? Sure, the
special equipment requirement was specified but the
level of skill operating that equipment wasn't and the
fact that the equipment was needed anyway, means it
should be listed as a 5.