[Az-Geocaching] Re: Special Equipment

gale and mike listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 09 May 2003 05:37:33 +0000

<P>You wrote:<BR>&nbsp;The argument that a 4WD is 'special equipment' does not hold water. If there is a road to a cache that can be accessed by a 4WD, that's great for those who own a 4WD. But I can still attempt the same cache by using my own two feet and legs. (My 'standard equipment'.) A 4WD isn't a must, it just makes things easier. If you adhere to the logic that a 4WD is 'special equipment' then you could also say any automobile is 'special equipment' for an urban micro cache and we all know the family sedan is not 'special equipment'. You have the option of walking, </P></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#990000>The geocaching website rating system states that specialized equipment includes 4WD.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#990000></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#990000>If I don't know that the only road to a cache is 4WD only, and I can only get within a couple of miles of it before I have to walk, then my "standard equipment"-my legs- will not allow me to get that cache. (My "standard equipment" does not work well since an accident 11 years ago.) This is something I would like to know about beforehand so I don't waste gas and time attempting something I'll never be able to get. So if no one wants to rate a cache 5* because it is 4WD, I have no problem with that as long as they state on the cache page that&nbsp; 4WD is recommended or required to drive to it. For existing caches, if I e-mail anyone&nbsp;and ask&nbsp; if the cache is accessible without a 4WD, please be kind and tell me. I am limited in how far I can walk before the pain in my hip and back make it impossible.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>