[Az-Geocaching] Re: Cache Pirates

Terry Hernlund listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 5 May 2003 16:06:34 -0700

Replies inline...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brent Milner" <milner@unicon.net>
To: <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 11:09 AM
Subject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] Re: Cache Pirates

> I agree with you on that one, Brian.
>
> Some people tell me I have a twisted sense of humor, so it should come as
no
> surprise that I actually chuckled when I read the Cache Pirate's post and
> bio. I would have been upset if he/she had taken the cache and logbooks as
> well, since those are the real "gold" to be found, in my opinion. But
> because I find caches only for the experience of the visit and the
adventure
> of the find, not for the goodies within, I wasn't too bothered that
someone
> plundered the trinkets from these caches. Besides, it seems like this
> particular pirate has a plan to create a cache somewhere and store all the
> stolen stuff -- a creative new idea on the geocaching game. Whether he/she
> actually does create this cache remains to be seen, but I'm intrigued by
the
> idea.

Hmmm...  Hadn't thought of that.  It's not funny at the moment but maybe
we're missing the bigger picture because we haven't been given all the info
yet.  Maybe it'll turn out to be an event cache where the cache owners (and
whoever else) all go to the spot where the hidden booty is.  Too bad that
even if that was the plan it'll probably not happen now as it has not been
very well received thus far.  Morty could have planned a little better if
this was his thinking.

Curious...  What if this was the case.  Who'd still be ready to lynch him?

> For those of you who feel "violated" that your caches were plundered, I
> guess I can understand that as well. Some of the items may have been
special
> to you, while others would view them as junk. I hope y'all aren't too hurt
> by it. Like I said, it seems that the pirate only took the trinkets. If
they
> had been really malicious, they would have removed the whole cache, thus
> leaving fellow searchers frustrated throughout the valley (and my view of
> them would change for the worse). I will certainly chip in to help
re-stock
> these caches with various dollar store items (not of the McJunk variety
> either). So let's not start a big lynch mob over the whole thing.

Anyone have a disposable camera in the pludered caches?  Was it taken?
That'd piss me right off, joke or not.

<snip>

> Anyway, the cache pirate made me laugh, especially with the Disneyland
> "Pirates of the Carribbean" song and the skull and crossbones idea. Pretty
> clever. Sadistic, yes, but clever as well. Sorry if I offended anyone by
> finding humor in this whole thing. (And for any of you would-be detectives
> who watch too much TV -- no, I'm not the pirate.) :D

I'm always ragging people about not having a sense of humor.  Now it seems I
lost mine for a bit as I was rather irritated.  Thanks for reminding me.
;-)

> As for the membership/non-membership argument, I notice that you can
become
> a monthly member for three lousy dollars. Is this the same as the
year-long
> membership, only in quicker installments? If so, if you're changing your
> caches to MEMBER-ONLY to prevent plundering, all the priate has to do is
pay
> three bucks, and then your caches are once again visible.

<snip>

Agreed that MO caches are hardly an answer.  I'm a member, but I don't agree
with the idea MO caches at all.  Sorta makes them commercial, which is
against GC.com general policy anyway.  Ironic.

-T.