[Az-Geocaching] Re: Ramblin' RTW

Scott Sparks listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 04 May 2003 23:24:25 -0700

Scott or RTW wrote:

>The other thing that is really irritating me is the fact that I have lost
>several caches to my stats because they became members only after I had
>already found it. I beleive a cache should not be changed over to a MO cache
>after it was originally available to all. It screws up my numbers (yes, I am
>into the numbers). I only cache in Arizona, so there should be no 'finds' in
>my out of state column. I understand this issue is tough to resolve.. but, I
>dont fault azgeocaching.com for it... I understand their situation with it
>and why they cant correct this problem. There have been a few other cachers
>who have mentioned this as well. So, for all those cache owners who choose
>to change their caches over midlife to a MO cache.. help Brian and Jason out
>so they dont have to deal with that issue. Leave your old caches the way
>they were and make your new caches MO if you want to, then I will just not
>go seek out those new caches. It will also keep the stats orderly and
>simple.

I feel the same way about the caches I already found that have been made
into M.O. caches.  I'd like to suggest the following solution for those
who feel impelled to make existing caches Members Only for security or
whatever reasons:

1.  Remove the Member's Only designation from the cache that was
previously a non-members cache.  This way those who are 'into the
numbers' can still get their stats and those who have already found them
can go back and review their logs whenever they please.
2.  Change the coordinates to something ridiculous, like the middle of
Roosevelt Lake or something.  That way no "new" cachers can find the cache.
3. Archive the cache.
4.  Create a new, Member's Only,  cache with a slightly different name
and a new waypoint number.  Use the same coordinates as the old or move
it slightly if you wish.  This way, only Premium Members can find it
from this point forward.
5.  Make everybody happy!  The cache still exists, only under a new
name, new waypoint and is only visible to Premium Members.  The old
cache waypoint, with new fictitious coordinates, can still be viewed and
counted in the stats by those who have already found it and logged it.
Everybody wins!

This seems to me like it would solve the dillemma(s) as viewed from both
sides of the coin.  Somebody correct me if I'm overlooking something.

-- Sprocket