[Az-Geocaching] Cache Pirate on the loose: Here is how I will protect my caches

Ken listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 4 May 2003 12:18:17 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C31237.3E436010

I have decided to do the same. With all the land managers out grabbing =
my caches and now this bozo on the loose it is becoming to frustrating.

Ken
WhereRwee?
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ken Akerman=20
  To: listserv@azgeocaching.com=20
  Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2003 11:33 AM
  Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Cache Pirate on the loose: Here is how I will =
protect my caches

  To Arizona Geocachers,

  It's sad to see that there apparently is a cache pirate on the loose.  =
I thought his entries were a joke, because he stated that he was at two =
caches on Saturday that I visited in the morning (neither one was =
plundered at that time), but when I checked the log for Pushing Tin near =
Sky Harbor International Airport, I read that Azcachmeister had visited =
the cache this morning and reported that it indeed had been plundered.

  I am heading out to the Diamondbacks game in a short time, so on the =
way there I will stop at a cache that I visit frequently, Have Bug, Will =
Travel.  I stopped there Saturday morning to get the only travel bug in =
it and I moved the travel bug to another cache in Pinal County later =
that day.  Fortunately, if the pirate did clean out this cache, there =
were no travel bugs in it.

  In order to protect my traditional caches, I have made them all =
Members Only. This is to protect my own caches from plundering, as it =
appears the Cache Pirate is not a Geocaching.com Premium Member.  I =
recommend that all cachers make your caches Members Only (and become a =
Premium Member if you are not a member) now to protect them from =
plundering.  (Virtual caches cannot be plundered, so those are open to =
all).

  Since there are some new cachers who perhaps aren't sure if they want =
to pay the $30 annual fee to become a Premium Member, here is what I =
will do for you.  If you want to find one of my Members Only caches, and =
you are not yet a Premium Member and have been an active geocacher for =
less than three months with fewer than 50 cache findings, then you could =
find one of my caches without becoming a Premium Member.  To do this, =
send me an e-mail explaining what cache you would like to find, and I =
will respond with an e-mail listing the coordinates and a brief =
description.  You could find the cache and sign the logbook in the =
cache, but you won't be able to log your finding on Geocaching.com until =
you become a Premium Member.

  This is available to new geocachers only (and obviously does not apply =
to the Cache Pirate).  I hope this new personal policy is agreeable to =
all, and in my opinion will encourage Geocachers to become Premium =
Members without restricting access to geocaching by newcomers.

  Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C31237.3E436010

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have decided to do the same. With all =
the land=20
managers out grabbing my caches and now this bozo on the loose it is =
becoming to=20
frustrating.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ken</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>WhereRwee?</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dken@highpointer.com href=3D"mailto:ken@highpointer.com">Ken =
Akerman</A>=20
  </DIV>
title=3Dlistserv@azgeocaching.com=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:listserv@azgeocaching.com">listserv@azgeocaching.com</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, May 04, 2003 =
11:33 AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Az-Geocaching] Cache =
Pirate on=20
  the loose: Here is how I will protect my caches</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>To Arizona Geocachers,</DIV>
  <DIV><BR>It's sad to see that there apparently is a <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=3D121309">cache =
pirate=20
  </A>on the loose.&nbsp; I thought his entries were a joke, because he =
stated=20
  that he was at two caches on Saturday that I visited in the morning =
(neither=20
  one was plundered at that time), but when I checked the log for <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=3D67154">Pus=
hing=20
  Tin</A> near Sky Harbor International Airport, I read that <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=3D88519">Azcachme=
ister=20
  </A>had visited the cache this morning and reported that it indeed had =
been=20
  plundered.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I am heading out to the Diamondbacks game in a short time, so on =
the way=20
  there I will stop at a cache that I visit frequently, <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=3D13581">Hav=
e Bug,=20
  Will Travel</A>.&nbsp; I stopped there Saturday morning to get the =
only travel=20
  bug in it and I moved the travel bug to another cache in Pinal County =
later=20
  that day.&nbsp; Fortunately, if the pirate did clean out this cache, =
there=20
  were no travel bugs in it.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>In order to protect my traditional caches, I have made them all=20
  <STRONG>Members Only</STRONG>.&nbsp;This is to protect my own caches =
from=20
  plundering, as it appears the Cache Pirate is not a Geocaching.com =
Premium=20
  Member.&nbsp; I recommend that all cachers make your caches =
<STRONG>Members=20
  Only</STRONG> (and become a <STRONG>Premium Member</STRONG> if you are =
not a=20
  member) <U>now</U> to protect them from plundering.&nbsp; (Virtual =
caches=20
  cannot be plundered, so those are open to all).</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Since there are some new cachers who perhaps aren't sure if they =
want=20
  to&nbsp;pay the $30 annual fee&nbsp;to become a Premium Member, here =
is what I=20
  will do for you.&nbsp; If you want to find one of my Members Only =
caches, and=20
  you are not yet a Premium Member and have been an active geocacher for =
<U>less=20
  than three months</U> with <U>fewer than 50 cache findings</U>, then =
you could=20
  find one of my caches without becoming a Premium Member.&nbsp; To do =
this,=20
  send me an e-mail explaining what cache you would like to find, and I =
will=20
  respond with an e-mail listing the coordinates and a brief =
description.&nbsp;=20
  You could find the cache and sign the logbook in the cache, but you =
won't be=20
  able to log your finding on Geocaching.com until you become a Premium=20
  Member.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>This is&nbsp;available to new geocachers only (and obviously does =
not=20
  apply to the Cache Pirate).&nbsp; I hope this new personal policy is =
agreeable=20
  to all, and in my opinion will encourage Geocachers to become Premium =
Members=20
  without restricting access to geocaching by newcomers.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D3>Ken Akerman</FONT></STRONG> (a.k.a.=20
  <STRONG><EM>Highpointer</EM></STRONG>)</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C31237.3E436010--