[Az-Geocaching] GPS Clinic

HighwayHavoc listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:58:21 -0800 (PST)

Seeing as how I posted the original msg, I went to the
lecture last night. I've gotta say I was rather
disappointed. Chris, an REI employee, gave the
lecture. For my taste, he was long-winded, spoke VERY
generally, and didn't answer the questions from the
group. His typical replies were to either look in the
manual, or he would cover that question in a minute.
Well, he went 20 minutes overtime, and still didn't
adequately 'cover that question'.

The lecture was heavy on the Garmin side of life, like
98.75%, covering the different models as well as
software available. Although I am a Garmin user
myself, I would have preferred more of a balance with
at least the Magellan, just because I am unfamiliar
with that product line.

Chris did mention geocaching in a positive light. When
asking the group if anyone had tried geocaching, I was
the only response and ellaborated on Chris' comments.

Last thought (there's never a 'last thought'), I
personally wouldn't recommend last nights lecture to
anyone who has already purchased a GPS. However, I
can't speak for the lecture tonight in Tempe. Perhaps
tonight will have another representative who will
cover the subjects with more clarity.

Mark A. Pedersen