[Az-Geocaching] How are AZ caches determined?

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 12:07:36 -0700

Bill Tomlinson wrote:

>I was just curious.  Unfortunately, now I'm even more curious because after
>this mornings crawl, those caches that were marked as out of state are now
>marked AZ (I no longer have 4 out of state finds).

AzGeocaching ONLY crawles arizona caches, so the way it determins out of
state is to subtract the number of arizona caches it found for you from
the highest number of total caches reported by geocaching.com... highest
because they now vary per page because of the caching he is doing.
 Ironicaly that actually makes AzGeocaching.com more acurate when it
comes to total cache counts :)   So if it doesn't find a cache in
arizona for you, but it is reported in some way on geocaching.com it
just gets dumped into out of state finds.  I suspect that Jeremy might
have a bug in his page caching scheme that causes some pages to not be
refreshed on time.

>BTW, Brian, speaking of site updates, any idea what havoc the new .net
>version of geocaching.com is going to cause you?  I know they were planning
>on separating out the locationless due to the number crunch.  I assume
>they'll be rolling that out soon since numbers are almost used up.  I'm sure
>a number of us would be willing to help update azgeocaching.com.

I can't really say... he might convert the whole thing to .net and have
it work exactly the same way as before.  It is already partially
converted to .net, and that already caused some problems.  We'll just
have to see.  Jason had made a rather simple interface for parsing the
web pages, so it will hopefully just be a mattch of some small tweeks
and we'll be back in business.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek