[Az-Geocaching] How are AZ caches determined?

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 10:13:05 -0700

Bill Tomlinson wrote:

>I found an out situation that appears to be an azgeocaching bug.  Am I
>missing something?  TheWebbman and I did a Tucson run yesterday.  We hit 44
>caches in total, including a couple along the interstate between Phoenix and
>Tucson as well as a few in the West valley.  Here are the two oddities I
>noted.  First, all of the caches are in Arizona.  Most are traditional with
>a few being virtual, but all have physical coordinates well within AZ.  Even
>so, some were marked as out of state on azgeocaching.  Odder still, even
>though we hit all of the same caches, four of mine were tagged as out of
>state, while five were so marked for TheWebbman.  Doesn't makes sense.  I
>haven't yet compared the lists to see which caches didn't make the AZ site.

AZ Caches are determined by what geocaching.com says are arizona caches.
 There are some things that effect if they are actually in arizona or
not.  The person placing the cache can screw up and say that it's in one
state and have it actually be in another, or it can be a locationless
cache that was started in another state, or was in out state and moved on.
There there are minor quirks that effect when showing up right away...
The previously mentioned update cycles can make you have to wait 24
hours to see the new caches show up (we only crawl once a day to
minimize the impact on the official site),   logging an archived cache
can also make you have to wait, as well as a cache getting archived
doesn't always get put into the "archived" section of azgeocaching right
away.  Updates to the official site that involve changes to the actual
working of the site tend to really screw things up.  The there are just
plain bugs... although we havent seen any of those in a while, and we
havent made any changes in a while, that doesn't rule out their
existance, but I doubt a bug in the site is the cause of your missing
caches... it's more likely to be one of the previous examples.
It's hard work keeping up with the official site.... lucky for me that
Jeremy hasn't made any changes to the official site in the last few
months.  It has really been a blessing since I have been extremely short
handed at work over the same time period.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek