[Az-Geocaching] Todays observations

Jim Scotti listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 16:19:46 -0700 (MST)

I was watching it as it approached the Mt. Bigelow area this morning while
playing softball.  There really were a lot of major flareups, particularly on
the east end of the fire near Mt. Bigelow.  The last time I looked closely
(about 1 or 1:30), it still hadn't gotten to the telescopes there, but it
looks like it might be heading that way.  The last report I heard from the
supervisor of the Observatory site, they had had some spot fires within 100
yards of one of the domes overnight that a hotshot crew there was able to
control.  It sure looked like the smoke and fire on the west end of the fire
was close to the Mt. Lemmon summit, though.  I sure hope the Bullock fire
disaster area helps kepp the fire off of Mt. Bigelow....

Jim.

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Scott Wood wrote:

> Just sitting here in my front yard looking at the mountain it looks like
> things have gotten far worse up there today.
>
> Looks like things are very hot around the observatory to the west and
> Bigelow to the east.

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory
University of Arizona