[Az-Geocaching] HELP!!!

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:48:12 -0700

Howdy,

I need help!

I have an Extrex Legend (Garmin). Programs I use with it are EasyGPS and
Garmin's Mapsource. I use these two programs almost daily for
uploading/offloading waypoints (EasyGPS) and maps (Mapsource) to/from my
GPS.

I am encountering a problem in which I cannot upload/download waypoints or
maps to/from my GPS. With the EasyGPS program, I get an error message saying
that the GPS is not responding. I ran the 'test' and I got the same message
and then it gave some very stupid and obvious troubleshoots (you know, the
stuff you already know to check!). So, thinking it was the EasyGPS program,
I dropped in Mapsource and tried to drop some waypoints off my GPS into
that... same thing. The GPS is not responding. My GPS is on!

Anyways, this is a problem I have had a time or two in the past, but very
short lived and I would simply turn the GPS off and then back on (or the
same with the program) and everything was just fine. However, I have had
this problem for 3 or 4 days now and after dozens of attempts (and checking
everything I can think to check).. I still have this problem.

Does anyone who uses a Garmin know what the problem might be? How I might
correct this problem? I am leaving state soon and I need to have new maps
put into my GPS. Also, need to be able to drop some waypoints in as I would
like to hit a few caches on my way out of state. However, I cant do nothing
without correcting this problem. Is it the cable or the GPS? I think I have
narrowed it down to either the cable or the GPS (since the programs say the
GPS is not responding. I am out of ideas on how to fix this problem. I dont
visually see anything wrong with the cable and I also checked the connection
points on the GPS... all looks fine. I hate to buy another cable from Garmin
unless I know for sure that is the problem.

Thanks for any help yall can provide!

Scott
Team Ropingthewind