[Az-Geocaching] Garmin repair?

Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:23:42 -0700

I found a place called Bronco One that has lots of Garmin related stuff.
Not sure if they do repair, but they are hooked into bata testing for
Garmin. He has gotten to play with the new iQue 3600 that is coming out
that Garmin has tied GMS finto a Plam device.

His phone number is 602-992-2016. He is located at 16236 n 32nd St Phoenix,
AZ 85032 and his web is  www.bronco1gps.com.

Barry

              Scott Sparks <scottsparks1@mchsi.com>
              Sent by:                                           az-geocaching@listserv.azgeocaching.com
              az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.        cc:
              com                                               Subject:   [Az-Geocaching] Garmin repair?

              Monday June 16, 2003 02:16 PM
              Please respond to listserv

Does anyone know of a local shop that can repair a Garmin 12XL GPS
reciever?  Mine has been giving me fits lately.  It keeps losing all
it's data (i.e. all the waypoints and routes that I painstakingly enter)
when I turn the unit on. I get error messages like "ALL DATA LOST"  and
"MEM BAT LOW."  I believe the unit has an internal lithium battery it
uses to power the volatile memory (so the data isn't lost when you
change the main batteries) but I can see no easy way to open the unit to
replace the internal battery.   The unit is more than two years old so
warranty repair is out of the question.  I'm looking for a local shop
that can do the repair so I don't have to ship it off for God knows how
long.  Or, has anyone had the exact same repair done and how much did it
cost you to ship it back to Garmin to have it repaired?  Somebody at the
event cache Saturday told me it cost $70 to ship theirs back for repair
but that's about half the cost of a new unit.  It's also about twice as
much as this type of repair ought to cost.  I could do it myself if I
could get the case open without destroying it.  Any thoughts or inputs?

-- Team Sprocket