[Az-Geocaching] Very first cache?

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 01 Jun 2003 20:23:25 -0700

>From: "Team Tierra Buena" <teamtierrabuena@earthlink.net>
>To: <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
>Subject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] Very first cache?
>Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 20:48:06 -0700
>
> > and this one is the first stash:
> > http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=15
>
>Except that they've since munged the coordinates on that page to put the
>cache in the middle of the Arctic Ocean. The original coordinates were N
>45 17.46 W 122 24.80, which puts it just off a trail in Milo McIver
>State Park, southeast of Portland, OR.
>Steve
>Team Tierra Buena

How lame! The very first geocache and no one bothered to preserve it! The
cache page has absolutely no legitimacy to it at all. The coords arent the
original, it shows up in the ocean somewhere and the 3 only find logs on it
dont hold a hill of beans! :) There is no description either.

I am suprised the cache owner didnt want to preserve this cache for ever and
ever. Someone else probably would have taken it up in a heartbeat. I know I
would have if I lived in Oregon (even if it isn't at the top of some steep
mountain!). That is a part of geocaching history.

I also noticed the ID number given in the cache pages' address isnt 1, but
rather it is 15. hhmm? Wouldnt it be 1 or 01 or something like that? My
guess is that it wasnt the first cache placed in the geocaching.com site and
it was added a bit later.  I went and changed the ID=1 in the addy and
nothing came up. But, then again, I probably dont know the numbering system
they use either.

Anyways, I might be going to Washington this summer and thought it would be
really cool to be able to find and sign the logbook on that very first
cache! (yea, I know I only do AZ caches, but I could make one exception!!!).
:)  Guess I will never get that chance. It would be fun to go to the actual
coordinates though and just 'take it in'!  :)

PS... Steve, how where you able to find those original coordinates?

Scott
Team Ropingthewind