[Az-Geocaching] GPS on Airlines

Trisha listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 15:22:12 -0700 (MST)

Hi all,
I asked my hubby ("VStar") who works as an engineering tech at
Wulfsberg Electronics, who designs and manufactures nav/comm
electronics for aircraft, etc. Dan is also very experienced with
anything to do with 2-way radio, RF etc.

I asked him if using a GPSr on an airline could cause any interference
with the airliner's systems (computers, navigation, radios, etc and
whatever.) I really wanted to know, if for nothing else than my own
safety, and I will admit that I have "snuck" a peak at my GPS that I
turned on, on a flight, to see how fast we were moving and the
altitude. It was fun to watch it move, to punch in a waypoint near
home and see how far it was, etc...

His answer, (always on the edge of my technical understanding,) is
that it is POSSIBLE but UNLIKELY that it would cause any interference.
These GPSr's generate (oscillate) at some internal frequencies, and if
the frequencies were close to something on the airline, it is possible
to interfere. He said that most people think that because it is a
receiver, that a GPS doesn't "transmit"....but apparently it does
internally. His explanation was MUCH better than I can remember to
type....and some of you may have the knowledge to know also. But my
hubby is one who would know.

Then I got to thinking....I am flying in an airplane, way up high in
the air, or taking off, or landing....if there is even a SLIGHT
possibility that something from a GPSr that I, or anybody has, COULD,
however UNLIKELY it is.....could interfere....what would the result
be? A missed reading? Annoyance? Best case, nothing....worst case...we
CRASH??? SO, I decided that I don't want to risk even a slight chance
if it might mess up the little metal tube whooshing thru the air at
600 mph.....

However unlikely, there must be a reason why they have restrictions
that they sorta sometimes enforce....and to me, it isn't worth it to
take a chance. But that is just my opinion, bolstered by hubby's
knowledgable opinion.

Hope you travel safely!

Trisha "Lightning"
Prescott

I have ALWAYS asked, and
have ALWAYS been told NO!

I recently took a round-trip on Delta, and
as I couldn’t find anything in the magazine specifically allowing or
prohibiting GPSr usage in-flight, I asked the flight attendant if she
could
check with the “front office”. She returned a few minutes later and
told me the captain had said that as long as it didn’t require an
external antenna it would be okay. So my four hours to Atlanta seemed
much shorter.

It was kind of funny in a way, as I did
have an external antenna on board with me (we are so spoiled by
reception
quality here). I’d often thought that if I were going to sneak, it
would
be far less conspicuous to just hold the antenna up to the window and
keep the GPSr
hidden in my lap, or behind a book. But since I had the green light, I
just
used the built-in antenna (and got a sore arm from holding it up to the
window).

On the return flight I was in an aisle
seat, so I didn’t even bother to ask.

Let’s face it, it’s always
easier (and probably less hazardous to the airline employees’ careers)
simply say no. I was lucky. I would still ask whenever presented with
the
opportunity. Perhaps as the airlines get more requests, they’ll
consider
the issues a little more thoroughly instead of issuing blanket
prohibitions.

Steve

Team Tierra Buena