[Az-Geocaching] GPS on Airlines

William Noll listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 09:57:58 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C3535C.64C27CB0

That's interesting. The FAA.GOV website is down right now, I couldn't =
find any official govt info. Here is a website regarding GPS on =
airlines:
http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm
http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/gpsrfi.htm

There  is no real safety threat created by a GPS. Laptop Computers =
generate far more RFI (radio frequency interference) than any GPS could. =
What about terrorists? Again, the GPS is not banned, only its usage =
during flight. Most airlines ban RFI generating electronics during =
takeoff and landing due to the inherent potential of RFI interference =
during these critical modes of flight. Cell phones are supposedly banned =
from use because they 'light up' a significant number of cellular tower =
antennas (due to line-of sight), but the real reason could be =
(speculated by some) that the airlines would lose mucho dinero from the =
installed Air-Fones.

There has never been a documented case in which an aircraft has lost =
it's NAV instruments (GPS, VOR, or ILS) due to a GPS (or in that case, =
any other RFI generating device).

Remember, it's ultimately up to the pilot and crew. It NEVER hurts to =
ask!!!

Bill

  ----- Original Message -----=20