[Az-Geocaching] City of Phoenix Policy

Trisha listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:26:53 -0700 (MST)

I guess I will ask the obvious and already bantered around question:

If the sites are not advertised, not signed, and do not indicate that
they are a "fragile archeological site" how are we supposed to know if
we are committing a Class 1 misdemeanor by placing a geocache?

Does this get back to the asking permission before placing a cache
issue? Will the person you ask permission from, if you even know who
that is, know it is a site and tell you? Geez, this is complicated.

Trisha

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:21:28 -0700, "Team Tierra Buena" wrote:

I received today the following document from Mary Estes of
the State Historic Preservation Office. I’ve reproduced below the
entire
document as I received it, since I got it as a Word document. There is
no
specific indication such as a form or letterhead to indicate that this
is
anything official, but in the file properties, the “Company” field
contains “City of Phoenix”.

I have no idea if this is a draft, a final, or what
procedures if any make this enforceable or “official”. Searches on
phoenix.gov for “geocache” and “geocaching” turned up
zero hits, and I haven’t got the time to run it down any further.
Mary’s
note to me asked if we could get it posted here in azgeocaching.com,
which
leads me to think she believes it is a done deal.

The text of the note is posted below my sig.

Steve

Team Tierra Buena

==================

City of Phoenix

Archaeology
Section

Geocaching

The City of Phoenix contains many
archaeological sites within its boundaries, especially in its mountain
preserves and open spaces. These archaeological sites have great
scientific and
cultural value, but are fragile, irreplaceable, and potentially
subject to
accidental harm or intentional vandalism. Many of the sites are not
marked or
identified by signage so as to not attract attention to them. In order
to best
preserve these sites, no activities are allowed at the sites which
could
directly or indirectly cause them harm, or broadcast their locations
to the
general public. Pursuant to PCC 24-36, Entering park areas closed to
public
use, and PCC 24-37, Vandalism in a park, geocaching at archaeological
sites located
on City of Phoenix property is not allowed. Violation of these
ordinances is
a Class 1 misdemeanor. Any geocaches that are found at archaeological
sites
will be immediately removed.