[Az-Geocaching] City of Phoenix Policy

Gale Draper listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:01:57 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1806354327-1059015717=:63553

If that's what they want, fine, no problem from me. Is there any indication from her as to how we are supposed to know if a cache is placed on one of these archaeological sites? I would like to think they wouldn't fine someone who had no way of knowing an archaeological site was there.

Team Tierra Buena <TeamTierraBuena@earthlink.net> wrote:
I received today the following document from Mary Estes of the State Historic Preservation Office. I’ve reproduced below the entire document as I received it, since I got it as a Word document. There is no specific indication such as a form or letterhead to indicate that this is anything official, but in the file properties, the “Company” field contains “City of Phoenix”.

I have no idea if this is a draft, a final, or what procedures if any make this enforceable or “official”. Searches on phoenix.gov for “geocache” and “geocaching” turned up zero hits, and I haven’t got the time to run it down any further. Mary’s note to me asked if we could get it posted here in azgeocaching.com, which leads me to think she believes it is a done deal.

The text of the note is posted below my sig.

Steve

Team Tierra Buena

==================

City of Phoenix

Archaeology Section
Geocaching   The City of Phoenix contains many archaeological sites within its boundaries, especially in its mountain preserves and open spaces. These archaeological sites have great scientific and cultural value, but are fragile, irreplaceable, and potentially subject to accidental harm or intentional vandalism. Many of the sites are not marked or identified by signage so as to not attract attention to them. In order to best preserve these sites, no activities are allowed at the sites which could directly or indirectly cause them harm, or broadcast their locations to the general public. Pursuant to PCC 24-36, Entering park areas closed to public use, and PCC 24-37, Vandalism in a park, geocaching at archaeological sites located on City of Phoenix property is not allowed. Violation of these ordinances is a Class 1 misdemeanor. Any geocaches that are found at archaeological sites will be immediately removed.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes
  On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:
"Something hidden.  Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --
  "Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling ,   The Explorer  1898

--0-1806354327-1059015717=:63553

<DIV>If that's what they want, fine, no problem from me. Is there any indication from her as to how we are supposed to know if a cache is placed on one of these archaeological sites? I would like to think they wouldn't fine someone who had no way of knowing an archaeological site was there.<BR><BR><B><I>Team Tierra Buena &lt;TeamTierraBuena@earthlink.net&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; WIDTH: 100%">
<META content="Microsoft Word 10 (filtered)" name=Generator>
<STYLE>
<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin-top:0in;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:6.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
h1
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:14.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{font-family:Arial;
	color:windowtext;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
</STYLE>

<DIV class=Section1>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I received today the following document from Mary Estes of the State Historic Preservation Office. I’ve reproduced below the entire document as I received it, since I got it as a Word document. There is no specific indication such as a form or letterhead to indicate that this is anything official, but in the file properties, the “Company” field contains “City of </SPAN></FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Phoenix</SPAN></FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">”. </SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I have no idea if this is a draft, a final, or what procedures if any make this enforceable or “official”. Searches on phoenix.gov for “geocache” and “geocaching” turned up zero hits, and I haven’t got the time to run it down any further. Mary’s note to me asked if we could get it posted here in azgeocaching.com, which leads me to think she believes it is a done deal.</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">The text of the note is posted below my sig.</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Steve</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Team Tierra Buena</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">==================</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><B><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=4><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 14pt">City of </SPAN></FONT></B><B><FONT size=4><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 14pt">Phoenix</SPAN></FONT></B></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><B><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=4><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 14pt">Archaeology Section</SPAN></FONT></B></P>
<H1 style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><B><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=4><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt">Geocaching </SPAN></FONT></B></H1>
<H1 style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><B><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=4></FONT></B>&nbsp;</H1>
<H1><B><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=4></FONT></B>&nbsp;</H1>
<H1><B><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">The City of </SPAN></FONT></B><FONT size=3><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Phoenix</SPAN></FONT><FONT size=3><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 12pt"> contains many archaeological sites within its boundaries, especially in its mountain preserves and open spaces. These archaeological sites have great scientific and cultural value, but are fragile, irreplaceable, and potentially subject to accidental harm or intentional vandalism. Many of the sites are not marked or identified by signage so as to not attract attention to them. In order to best preserve these sites, no activities are allowed at the sites which could directly or indirectly cause them harm, or broadcast their locations to the general public. Pursuant to PCC 24-36, Entering park areas closed to public use, and PCC 24-37, Vandalism in a park, geocaching at archaeological sites located on City of
 </SPAN></FONT><FONT size=3><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Phoenix</SPAN></FONT><FONT size=3><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 12pt"> property is not allowed. Violation of these ordinances is a Class 1 misdemeanor. Any geocaches that are found at archaeological sites will be immediately removed.</SPAN></FONT></H1>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV><BR><BR><DIV><FONT color=#6633cc>Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes<BR>&nbsp; On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:<BR>"Something hidden.&nbsp; Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --<BR>&nbsp; "Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#6633cc></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#6633cc>Rudyard Kipling&nbsp;,&nbsp;&nbsp; The Explorer&nbsp; 1898</FONT></DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-1806354327-1059015717=:63553--