[Az-Geocaching] Without "vacation" geocaches, some areas may never see a cache

Andrew Ayre listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:35:19 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C3505E.79AA2ED0

You mean what YOU THINK it should be. Not what it should be. Right? I'm sure
you were expressing your own opinion rather than wanting Geocaching to
exclude those less physically able.

Andy

  -----Original Message-----
  From: az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com]On Behalf Of Ken
Akerman
  Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 12:20 PM
  To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
  Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Without "vacation" geocaches, some areas may
never see a cache

  Vacation caches are not always a bad idea.  For example, I sometimes
travel to areas that don't have a very high population density and have few
or no caches.  Such areas may have many great places to visit, places with
excellent hiking trails and scenery, and many ideal locations to place
caches.  Unfortunately, I travel through many such areas where I would like
to go out and find a cache, but there is no cache to be found.

  If there are no people living in the area who are willing and able to
place caches, then why shouldn't I, or any other geocacher, place a cache in
such a location?  Such areas need more caches - why should so many great
scenic and beautiful areas have few or no caches, while an urban area like
Phoenix has an overabundance of caches?

  If a cache is well-hidden in a remote area using a durable container like
an ammo can, then the cache should last for many years without having to
"maintain" it.  For example, there is a cache on the summit of Kings Peak,
the highest point of Utah.  That is the kind of place where I think more
caches need to be.  This is a cache, however, that one cannot be expected to
go out and check on within short notice, even if the cache owner lives
nearby.   Getting to the summit of Kings Peak and back takes about two days
and is accessible to most people only during the summer months.

  For example, on my last trip I was in Wyoming, and I found several caches
in the state.  However, many parts of the state have few or no caches,
because the population of Wyoming is the lowest of any state.  Therefore,
low-population density regions like Wyoming need the help from people
traveling through the state to increase the number of caches in the state.
Also, geocachers from the Phoenix area should be encouraged to place more
caches in those parts of Arizona that don't have many caches.

  Therefore, geocachers traveling through areas with few or no active
geocachers and few or no caches should be encouraged to place new caches, as
long as such caches are well-hidden using durable containers.  This will
help make geocaching more like what it really should be - a
physically-challenging outdoor adventure activity that one can do anywhere
in the world.

  Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C3505E.79AA2ED0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D055423321-22072003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>You=20
mean what YOU THINK it should be. Not what it should be. Right? I'm sure =
you=20
were expressing your own opinion rather than wanting Geocaching to =
exclude those=20
less physically able.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<P><FONT size=3D2>Andy<BR><BR></FONT></P>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
  size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B>=20
  az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com=20
  [mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com]<B>On Behalf Of =
</B>Ken=20
  Akerman<BR><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, July 22, 2003 12:20 PM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
  listserv@azgeocaching.com<BR><B>Subject:</B> [Az-Geocaching] Without=20
  "vacation" geocaches, some areas may never see a =
cache<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>Vacation caches are not always a bad idea.&nbsp; For example, I =
sometimes=20
  travel to areas that don't have a very high population density and =
have few or=20
  no caches.&nbsp; Such areas may have many great places to visit, =
places with=20
  excellent hiking trails and scenery, and many ideal locations to place =

  caches.&nbsp; Unfortunately, I travel through many such areas where I =
would=20
  like to go out and find a cache, but there is no cache to be =
found.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>If there are no&nbsp;people living in the area who are willing =
and able=20
  to place caches, then why shouldn't I, or any other geocacher, place a =
cache=20
  in such a location?&nbsp;&nbsp;Such areas need more caches - why =
should so=20
  many great scenic and beautiful areas&nbsp;have&nbsp;few or no caches, =
while=20
  an urban area like Phoenix has an overabundance of caches?&nbsp; =
</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>If a cache is well-hidden in a remote area using a durable =
container like=20
  an ammo can, then the cache should last for many years without having =
to=20
  "maintain" it.&nbsp; For example, there is a cache on the <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3D3a835fcc=
-ff0d-4d32-9ed1-2a831678a627">summit=20
  of Kings Peak</A>, the highest point of Utah.&nbsp; That is the kind =
of place=20
  where I think more caches need to be.&nbsp; This is a cache, however, =
that one=20
  cannot be expected to go out and check on within short notice, even if =
the=20
  cache owner lives nearby.&nbsp;&nbsp; Getting to the summit of Kings =
Peak and=20
  back takes about two days and is accessible to most people only during =
the=20
  summer months.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>For example, on my last trip I was in Wyoming, and I found =
several caches=20
  in the state.&nbsp; However, many parts of the state have few or no =
caches,=20
  because the population of Wyoming is the lowest of any state.&nbsp; =
Therefore,=20
  low-population density regions like Wyoming need the help from people=20
  traveling through the state to increase the number of caches in the=20
  state.&nbsp; Also, geocachers from the Phoenix area should be =
encouraged to=20
  place more caches in those parts of Arizona that don't have many =
caches.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Therefore, geocachers traveling through areas with few or no =
active=20
  geocachers and few or no caches should be encouraged to place new =
caches, as=20
  long as such caches are well-hidden using durable containers.&nbsp; =
This will=20
  help make geocaching more like what it really should be - a=20
  physically-challenging outdoor adventure activity that one can do =
anywhere in=20
  the world.</DIV>
  <DIV><BR><STRONG>Ken Akerman</STRONG> (a.k.a.=20
  <STRONG><EM>Highpointer</EM></STRONG>)</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C3505E.79AA2ED0--