[Az-Geocaching] Cache contents Rant

Trisha listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 08 Jul 2003 12:14:17 -0700 (MST)

Steven, and all on this thread about junk in caches:

There was a cache near Kingman (Holly Moses) where I actually logged
something about the "devolved" state of the cache....was all junk.

What you are running up against is what some of us awhile back
jokingly termed "The Second Law of Caching Dymanics":

"In Time, all caches will devolve and entropy will be achieved."
(Credit for this quote is given to Steve of Team Tierra Buena on the
azgeocaching website.)

An obvious knock-off of the actual second law of thermodynamics
(Degradation of Energy; states that the quality of the energy in a
closed system (which can never be created or destroyed according to
the First Law of Thermodymanics) will be degraded irreversibly and
seek their most probable distribution, i.e. entropy)

While frustrating and perhaps somewhat inevitable, we are fortunate
that we are not in a CLOSED system....TRADING UP and CACHE Maintenance
are two things that can help keep caches from "devolving"....
kind of like injecting new "energy" into the system. (Hm, seems like
that must violate some theory or other...?)

But, along the same lines as the awe and wonder and anger we have at
the stupidity of people who ignore fire restrictions (also known as
IDIOTS), I hypothesize that there are always going to be a sufficient
quantity of selfish or lazy people out there, which will cause those
of us who are concerned with maintaining geocaching at a high-quality
level a good deal of angst and anguish. Degradation may ultimately win
out over good intentions and added energy; only TIME will tell!

The previous "rant" has been the product of boredom, and pent-up
frustration about "devolved" caches, and a good dose of wanna-be
scientist. ha ha ha. Please read with a bit of humor (and truth) in
mind.

Take care, everybody

Trisha "Lightning"
Prescott