[Az-Geocaching] Cache contents Rant

Steven Stringham listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 06:52:00 -0700 (MST)

I love the trading aspect of this game.

I am really curious as to what others see as valid things to "trade" in a
cache. While not all the things I put in a cache are really useful, at
least they are not (in my humble opionion) pure junk.

A marble in a micro,  for example is fine. I also like to see personalized
cards. Dollar stores are my friend.

My kids have taken to collecting some of the items found in caches (my
oldest daughter has started a keychain collection - and has found some
interesting ones!)  And, I try to make sure that I don't trade down. Some
stuff is just cool (the navy lanyards from Team AZCOWilliams). I love
these kind of trademark items. Or the Team sanddollar's token.  Other
stuff is great too. I have taken some items from caches and turned them
into travel bugs. I love it.

But, I have seen some really junky stuff in some caches. What the heck are
some people thinking when they put a used movie ticket or a used gift card
in a cache?  Or broken parts of some old electronics?  This is what I have
found in caches recently. I really don't get it. Do they really think that
somebody will want a used movie ticket to some third rate movie from
months ago? I have seen logs of others that say they have "cleaned out a
cache" and replenished it, because the contents were so under par. I
should have done this on these, but I was low on cache stuff. So, I ended
up TN/LN/SL.

Are others surprised by these kind of items as well? Should I have at
least cleaned out the junk, so that the next person didn't have to?

StringCachers
Steven Stringham

http://stringham-family.org/