[Az-Geocaching] New GPS connection

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:15:45 -0800

>From: Jason Poulter <polt@snaptek.com>
>To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
>Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] New GPS connection
>Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:31:00 -0700
>
>has anyone tried the TOPO! Sync software?
>
>looks pretty interesting... would like to know what ya think, if so!
>
>jason

Howdy,

Thanks for the responses to my post about topo software for Palms. I have
looked at Delorme and National Geographic. The only problem I have with
those is that they only offer detailed topo's for each state individually
and each state costs like $100! That is a good price considering how much
buying all those paper 7.5' topo's would cost. The only problem is for me
that I will be using this GPS/Palm combo for ballooning (Yes, I do have
other hobbies besides geocaching!) and we travel all over the country
flying. So, to buy CD sets for every state I go to is not realistic. Way to
expensive. I like Garmin's Mapsource. It isnt quite as detailed as a 7.5'
topo.. but, the Mapsource topo's are plenty enough detailed for me. They
sell a CD for like $116 and it covers the entire western half of the
country. I wish to find something lie that for the Palm. The regional CD's
that NG Topo sells arent really regional.. they are just specific areas
(like the Grand Canyon and the Arizona central mountains area, etc).

Also, with Delorme and NG Topo you have to buy two programs... one for the
Palm (toposync for instance) and then the mapping software of your choosing
for the PC. Now, EvilFISH just mentioned to me a program by Maptech. It
appears to be a program with maps for the Palm. But, again it appears
limiting.

I am really hoping Garmin will make their Mapsource topo software Palm OS
compatible in the near future. They would be great! I could then have the
entire western US covered for my Palm (of course, still have to break it
down to mapsets to fit in in the Palms limited storage space). I think they
might considering they are coming out with their own PDA/GPS unit.
Hopefully, the software will be compatible with Palm's OS as well though.
Shall see.

In the meantime.. I have a cable on order for my GPS/Palm setup and will
perhaps consider the Delorme Arizona 3-CD set and their Palm program.
($100+$40). But, since this is all relatively new stuff.. I think a little
patients will see alot of new stuff in the marketplace for Palm topo maps.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind