[Az-Geocaching] Upcoming Fire Season/Forest Closures (?)

Sat, 25 Jan 2003 14:49:32 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

While I am thinking of it, I thought I'd put this little unpleasant
bug in everybody's ear....talk is that, due to the little rain we have
had so far (and the bark beetle destruction), this years' fire season
is going to be very very bad.

This is on my mind because I just got back from a Jeep Posse Training
exercise, we were staged in Cleator, practicing as IF there was a fire
near Crown King and it had to be evacuated. (CK is considered an
extreme risk area). Long, dusty day, training my new communications
folks with 7 of our units in the field. And I managed to bag a cache
on the way home (well, 4 miles out of the way, "BB Cache")

Anyway, I am saying all this so that if any of you flat-landers (hey,
I DID NOT say flat heads! :-) were planning to visit up by Prescott,
Payson, Flag, you better do it EARLY, like April. The forests will
most likely be shut down again this year, unless we get rain, and that
isn't likely.

Please don't shoot the messenger, and keep in mind nothing I said is a
FACT (well, I mean about the forest closure...everything else is true)
but I am projecting what is most likely. I know y'all like to escape
the summer heat, but....

take care and be safe,
Trisha "Lightning"
Prescott
Yavapai Co. Jeep Posse

PS ... just as we wrapped up and got back into the Mayer area, the
Posse was called for 4 Jeep units to go to Crown King (711
road...ugh!) to rescue a stranded family. Anybody want to 'fess up
they took their Pontiac and their 4 kids on a bad road trying to get
to that ONE LAST cache of the day????  Yeah, we "rescue" too....

"Although no one can go back and
make a brand new start,
Anyone can start from now and
make a brand new ending."