[Az-Geocaching] Caches being removed from Superstition Wilderness Area

Joe Brekke listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 18:49:48 -0700

> I think we need to start stressing that the caches that everyone seems
> to be worried about are in the middle of nowhere, and are VERY low
traffic.
> Our freemont saddle cache, which is hopefully still there, has recieved
> a visitor on avarage every 22.21 days, since it was placed.  I don't
> know of anyone that will say that is enough to traffic to blaze a trail
> to anywhere.  They have animals that go back and forth to places much
> more often than that.

We have a cache in that area too...Peralta Trail Balancing Rock Cache
(GC428E). In fact We placed it on my way up to do the Freemont Saddle Cache.
The cache was placed 3/16/02 and to date has had 22 finds.  The funny thing
about this cache is that it is right along the trail...it is in a relatively
flat area along the side of the trail where there is a lot of traffic...I
placed it where I did, knowing that it would be a logical spot for people to
look like they were taking a break as they found and logged the cache...I
know for a fact there was no "Trail Blazing" to find it.

But, it looks as if it will be gone now.  I will go to the Mesa Ranger
Station and pick it up...I think it has a travel bug in it.

Shame, I bet more than half of the people who found this would more than
likely not have gone up that trail and seen it's wonderful beauty had not
this cache and the others...Most notably the Freemont Saddle Cache by Team
Snaptek...not been there.  There's a real possibility that We wouldn't have.

I'll find out if we can get a permit to re-place the cache.

Thanks, Jim & Kristen for letting us know of this, and also congratulations
on your 500th find...as for logging the caches, I would say that if they
were mine I would count them as a find...though I certainly can't speak for
the actual owners.

Thanks
Joe
TeamBlunder