[Az-Geocaching] Cache Karma

James and Diane Herr listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 13:15:56 -0700

Brian Cluff of Team Snaptek wrote:

>...................  When I originally changed to this formula, it
>was approx. a 45:1 ratio, and in only a couple of months has changed to a
>64.8:1 ratio.  So you could currently find 128 caches with only one hide
>and still have a positive cache karma (Just barely).

Not in reality.  I think there is a bug in the ratio thing.  First, to
your point of 128 finds with one hide and having positive cache karma,
look at RandMan, currently 43th in the list (when you click on the team
stats link and don't resort the list).  He has 129 found in AZ with 1
hide, and his karma is -64.2.  (Not picking on RandMan, but I needed an
easy datapoint).  You can find others in this same range and see the
results are similar.  Also, and this is the bigger bug in my opinion, is
that your first hide gets you no improvement in karma. Look at ZenBabes
and Jeepster, currently 81st and 82nd in the list.  They both have 66 AZ
finds, but one has hidden one cache, the other has no hides. They both
have a karma of -1.2.  (Not picking on these fine folks either).  So,
you see, something is wrong here.  I always wondered about this, but
never bothered to report the bug.  I was all excited to see how my karma
would jump after placing our first cache, and was disappointed when
nothing happened.  So, we had to go place a second one right away. :^)

Thanks for listening,
--
Jim - Team 8 Feet