[Az-Geocaching] Cache Karma and other divisive thoughts

Regan Smith listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 07:29:49 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C2BEC3.61F5E400

I know that new cachers get excited about placing a cache so others can =
find it. This is what Evil Fish did and we placed Nearly in Harmony =
after only our 5th find.

I feel now that after nearly 150 finds that people are forgetting  that =
the reward is not the find but in the finding, IMHO placing a Altoids =
under a park bench is a novel idea but one that has been way over done, =
I thought when we placed Eating Crow we could put a new twist on this =
but a new cacher send a private email after not being able to locate the =
cache and asked simply why place a cache in such a public place? I know =
that there is a reason for such but is it special enough to bring others =
to enjoy it?

Do all cachers need to place a cache? Currently there are 2599 =
teams/people with atleast one find in Arizona. Do I really want to go =
and find a micro-cache located accross the parking lot from another =
Altoids container?=20

Arizona is a large state but not everyone can have 767 caches within 75 =
miles from their home

How many people read the Guide to Creating and Hiding a Cache page?

http://www.geocaching.com/articles/making.asp

http://www.geocaching.com/articles/requirements.asp

I have come to the conclusion that the starting thoughts of geocaching =
need to be more closely aheard to.
from the FAQ page:
Where are caches found?=20

The location of a cache can be very entertaining indeed. As many say, =
location, location, location! The location of a cache demonstrates the =
founder's skill and possibly even daring. A cache located on the side of =
a rocky cliff accessible only by rock climbing equipment may be hard to =
find. An underwater cache may only be accessed by scuba. Other caches =
may require long difficult hiking, orienteering, and special equipment =
to get to. Caches may be located in cities both above and below ground, =
inside and outside buildings. The skillful placement of a small logbook =
in an urban environment may be quite challenging to find even with the =
accuracy of a gps. That little logbook may have a hundred dollar bill in =
it or a map to greater treasure. It could even contain clues or riddles =
to solve that may lead to other caches. Rich people could have fun with =
their money by making lucrative caches that could be better than winning =
the lottery when you find it. Just hope that the person that found the =
cache just before you left a real big prize!=20

------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C2BEC3.61F5E400

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I know that new cachers get excited about =
placing a=20
cache so others can find it. This is what Evil Fish did and we placed =
Nearly in=20
Harmony after only our 5th find.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I feel now that after nearly 150 finds=20
that&nbsp;people are forgetting&nbsp; that the reward is not the find =
but in the=20
finding, IMHO placing a Altoids&nbsp;under a park bench is a novel idea =
but one=20
that has been way over done, I thought when we placed Eating Crow we =
could put a=20
new twist on this but a new cacher send a private email after not being =
able to=20
locate the cache and asked simply why place a cache in such a public =
place? I=20
know that there is a reason for such but is it special enough&nbsp;to =
bring=20
others to enjoy it?</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Do all cachers need to place a cache? =
Currently there=20
are 2599 teams/people with atleast one&nbsp;find in Arizona.&nbsp;Do I =
really=20
want to go and find a micro-cache located accross the parking =
lot&nbsp;from=20
another Altoids container?&nbsp;</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Arizona is a&nbsp;large state&nbsp;but =
not=20
everyone&nbsp;can&nbsp;have 767 caches within&nbsp;75 miles from their=20
home</FONT></P></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>How many people read the <FONT =
size=3D3><STRONG>Guide=20
to Creating and Hiding a Cache <FONT=20
size=3D2>page?</FONT></STRONG></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.geocaching.com/articles/making.asp">http://www.geocach=
ing.com/articles/making.asp</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.geocaching.com/articles/requirements.asp">http://www.g=
eocaching.com/articles/requirements.asp</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have come to the conclusion that the =
starting=20
thoughts of geocaching need to be more closely aheard to.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>from the FAQ page:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<P><STRONG>Where are caches found?</STRONG>=20
<P>The location of a cache can be very entertaining indeed. As many say, =

location, location, location! The location of a cache demonstrates the =
founder's=20
skill and possibly even daring. A cache located on the side of a rocky =
cliff=20
accessible only by rock climbing equipment may be hard to find. An =
underwater=20
cache may only be accessed by scuba. Other caches may require long =
difficult=20
hiking, orienteering, and special equipment to get to. Caches may be =
located in=20
cities both above and below ground, inside and outside buildings. The =
skillful=20
placement of a small logbook in an urban environment may be quite =
challenging to=20
find even with the accuracy of a gps. That little logbook may have a =
hundred=20
dollar bill in it or a map to greater treasure. It could even contain =
clues or=20
riddles to solve that may lead to other caches. Rich people could have =
fun with=20
their money by making lucrative caches that could be better than winning =
the=20
lottery when you find it. Just hope that the person that found the cache =
just=20
before you left a real big prize! </P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C2BEC3.61F5E400--