[Az-Geocaching] El Camino del Diablo Strike Force: Mission Briefing

Team Tierra Buena listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:56:25 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C2BA7D.132B2C30

------=_NextPart_001_0067_01C2BA7D.132B2C30

This is going to be somewhat long. If you're not planning on joining us
next week for the El Camino del Diablo expedition, you can probably skip
this posting.

We will be meeting next Sunday, January 19, at 8:30 AM at the Wellton
entrance gate to the Barry M. Goldwater Range (BMGR). Directions below.
We will probably enter the range very soon after 8:30, so if you are
late you will have to enter on your own and catch up to us. However, we
will wait for you if you can reach us by radio (FRS or CB: Channels 2
and 12, Amateur: 146.52 simplex).

Important reminders:

All adults (18+) must have an individual permit. Search the email
archives on azgeocaching.com for more information on how to obtain a
permit.

Fill up your gas tank in Wellton. There are no services within BMGR.

Bring sufficient food and water.

Don't forget to call the telephone number you were given when you
received your permit to advise them of the required information, and to
receive any information on travel restrictions for the period you tell
them you plan to be in BMGR. Call before you leave in the morning. The
number is staffed 24/7, and there is no guarantee of any cellular phone
coverage, even at the gate.

Directions:

After driving myself nuts trying to get the columns to line up even in
plain text, I decided instead to attach a text file with the directions.
You can line them up on your own computers if necessary.

Finally, since someone asked in an earlier post, you may be interested
to know that the authors rate the difficulty of the road a 4 on a a
scale of 1-10 high. They define Difficulty 4 as: "High-clearance 4WDs
are recommended, though most stock SUVs are acceptable. Expect a rough
road surface with rocks larger than 6 inches, but there will be a
reasonable driving line available. Patches of mud are possible but can
be readily negotiated; sand may be deep and require lower tire
pressures. There may be steam crossings up to 12 inches deep,
substantial sections of single-lane shelf road, moderate grades, and
sections of moderately loose road surface."

Using a similar scale, they rate the scenic attractiveness at 9.

Steve
Team Tierra Buena
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". -- Dave
Barry

------=_NextPart_001_0067_01C2BA7D.132B2C30

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<TITLE>Message</TITLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2722.900" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY><!-- Converted from text/plain format -->
<P><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">This is going to be somewhat long. If =
you're not=20
planning on joining us next week for the El Camino del Diablo =
expedition, you=20
can probably skip this posting.<BR><BR>We will be meeting next Sunday, =
January=20
19, at 8:30 AM at the Wellton entrance gate to the Barry M. Goldwater =
Range=20
(BMGR). Directions below. We will probably enter the range very soon =
after 8:30,=20
so if you are late you will have to enter on your own and catch up to =
us.=20
However, we will wait for you if you can reach us by radio (FRS or CB: =
Channels=20
2 and 12, Amateur: 146.52 simplex).<BR><BR><U><STRONG>Important=20
reminders:</STRONG><BR></U><BR>All adults (18+) must have an individual =
permit.=20
Search the email archives on azgeocaching.com for more information on =
how to=20
obtain a permit.<BR><BR>Fill up your gas tank in Wellton. There are no =
services=20
within BMGR.<BR><BR>Bring sufficient food and water.<BR><BR>Don't forget =
to call=20
the telephone number you were given when you received your permit to =
advise them=20
of the required information, and to receive any information on travel=20
restrictions for the period you tell them you plan to be in BMGR. Call =
before=20
you leave in the morning. The number is staffed 24/7, and there is no =
guarantee=20
of any cellular phone coverage, even at the=20
gate.<BR><BR><STRONG><U>Directions:<BR></U></STRONG><BR>After driving =
myself=20
nuts trying to get the columns to line up even in plain text, I decided =
instead=20
to attach a text file with the directions. You can line them up on your =
own=20
computers if necessary.<BR><BR><BR>Finally, since someone asked in an =
earlier=20
post, you may be interested to know that the authors rate the difficulty =
of the=20
road a 4 on a a scale of 1-10 high. They define Difficulty 4 as: =
"High-clearance=20
4WDs are recommended, though most stock SUVs are acceptable. Expect a =
rough road=20
surface with rocks larger than 6 inches, but there will be a reasonable =
driving=20
line available. Patches of mud are possible but can be readily =
negotiated; sand=20
may be deep and require lower tire pressures. There may be steam =
crossings up to=20
12 inches deep, substantial sections of single-lane shelf road, moderate =
grades,=20
and sections of moderately loose road surface."<BR><BR>Using a similar =
scale,=20
they rate the scenic attractiveness at 9.</P>
<P align=3Dleft><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">Steve<BR>Team Tierra=20
Buena<BR></FONT><FONT size=3D2><SPAN class=3D296575623-28102002><FONT=20
face=3D"Book Antiqua" size=3D3><EM>There is a very fine line between =
"hobby" and=20
"mental illness". </EM></FONT></FONT><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">-- Dave =

Barry</SPAN></P></FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0067_01C2BA7D.132B2C30--

------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C2BA7D.132B2C30
	filename="El Camino del Diablo Directions.txt"

El Camino del Diablo Directions:

First, some disclaimers -- I have not tried these directions myself. I =
am copying these directions, mileages, and coordinates from a book that =
has proven itself to me to be reliable in the past, "Backcountry =
Adventures: Arizona" by Peter Massey and Jeanne Wilson. Also, I am not =
certain that the directions identify where the gate is located, but we =
will meet wherever the gate happens to be along this route.

MILEAGE		COORDINATES		DIRECTIONS
 0.0							From I-8, exit 30 at Wellton, zero trip meter
							immediately on the south side of the freeway
							at the eastbound freeway entrance/exit. Exit ramp,
							and proceed south on the paved road. Immediately
							cross over the Wellton Canal.

 1.3			N 32 39.560		Turn right onto graded dirt road, immediately before
			W114 08.490		the Mohave* Canal and levee.

 5.1							Zero trip meter and turn left and cross over Mohawk
							Canal on bridge, then immediately turn left again.

 0.0			N 32 38.130		Continue toward Barry M. Goldwater Air Force Range.
			W114 12.600

 0.1							Cross over levee bank, tracks on right and left along
							the top

 1.2							Crossroads, edge of the Barry M. Goldwater Air Force
							Range. Valid permit essential from this point. Graded
							road on right and left along the boundary.

 1.5			N 32 37.200		Cross through fence line.
			W114 12.570

And I'm assuming that's where the gate is. *Note: I said the book is =
reliable, I didn't say it is perfect. I think this reference to "Mohave" =
Canal should be "Mohawk" Canal, because that's the only one I see on my =
maps, and the next instruction says "Mohawk" as well. But "Mohave" is =
what is in the book. Won't know for certain until we get there.
------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C2BA7D.132B2C30--