[Az-Geocaching] Caches - Different Strokes For Different Folks

Jeff Moriarty listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 10:22:43 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C2BA24.8AE83D20

Brian,

Since I don't know you, I get to go by what you put in your messages.  =
If you don't qualify a joke, sarcasm, etc., then people will take it as =
face value.  You can't expect anyone to do a background check first.  If =
you have a computer background then you should appreciate that in =
digital communications like email and message posts that the onus is on =
the sender to make their intentions clear because tone of voice just =
doesn't come across.

I also do not see your point in the rules nitpicking explanation you =
give.  If Jeremy had to put down a rule for every little thing you could =
and could not do in a cache, that would be his only job.  For example, =
there are laws that I am not allowed to vandalize your property.  Is =
there a law that speicifically says I cannot spraypaint "DUMBASS" onto =
the front of your home in neon green paint in the middle of the night?  =
I doubt it.  By your argument that should be okay since it isn't an =
exact rule, so if you want to send me your address I'll hook you up.  :) =
  Geocaching.com reserves the right to not approve any caches they deem =
inappropriate, and that is the same catch-all as the vandalism laws.

You do raise a valid point in that the cache approved are not always =
consistent.  If that becomes a problem then, as I suggested originally, =
discuss it with Geocaching.com and point out discrepency.  But your bait =
and switch approach is still the wrong way to go.

Glad to hear you support Geocaching.com in other ways, however I notice =
that all of your purchases are things that benefit YOU first, and happen =
to benefit Geocaching.com along the way.  They make a few bucks off of =
markup and commission, but you are still not actually saying "Hey, you =
guys have helped give me a fun hobby so I will support you for that =
alone".  Jeremy has said they need more cash to pay the bills, and we =
charter members are stepping up to cover the gap.  You are not.  That's =
what gives me the right to say you are a mooch.

Jeff.
  ----- Original Message -----=20