[Az-Geocaching] Trespassing?

RAND HARDIN listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 07:51:03 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C2B946.305DD420

RE: Highwayhavoc's note about trespassing.

In my opinion, crossing any fence which does not have an opening for publ=
ic access is trespassing - whether there is a "NO TRESPASSING" sign poste=
d or not.  I've noticed several caches in the Salt River and Usery Pass a=
rea that I've questioned, and refused to go after because of having to ju=
mp a fence.  A fence is put up for a reason.  =20

It bothers me when I read log reports from cachers who admit that they ju=
mped fences - and reason their trespass by saying that they didn't see a =
"NO TRESPASSING" sign.  It's these cachers that will end up providing amm=
o to those who wish to badmouth geocaching.  This is no different than wh=
at was discussed here (on listserve) a few days ago about the situation o=
ut at the "Hall of Flame" cache.  (Cachers admitted in the logs about tre=
spassing onto the property during the hours when the property was closed =
to the public.)

Rand Hardin (RandMan)     =20
 =20
----- Original Message -----
From: HighwayHavoc
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 4:19 PM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Trespassing?
 =20
I=12m still relatively new to AZ so I=12m still learning
how things work here. I logged a cache this morning
that, together with two others brings the question to
mind, =13At what point do we say, =11I shouldn=12t go over
there=12=14? I ask this because for these three caches
I=12ve had to go through a barbed wire fence, pass
between =13No Trespassing=14 signs and hike a quarter-mile
off-trail in a park where we pay a per vehicle fee to
maintain the existing trails.

Mark A. Pederson
aka Highwayhavoc

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C2B946.305DD420

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>RE: Highwayhav=
oc's note about trespassing.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>In my opinion, =
crossing any fence which does not have an opening for public access is tr=
espassing -&nbsp;whether there is a "NO TRESPASSING"&nbsp;sign posted or =
not.&nbsp; I've noticed several caches&nbsp;in the&nbsp;Salt River and Us=
ery Pass&nbsp;area that I've questioned, and refused to go after because =
of having to jump a fence.&nbsp; A fence is put up for a reason.&nbsp; </=
DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>It bothers me when I read log reports from ca=
chers who admit that they jumped fences - and reason their trespass by sa=
ying that they didn't see a "NO TRESPASSING"&nbsp;sign.&nbsp; It's these =
cachers&nbsp;that will end up providing ammo to those who wish to badmout=
h geocaching.&nbsp; This is&nbsp;no&nbsp;different than what&nbsp;was dis=
cussed here&nbsp;(on listserve) a few days ago about the situation out at=
 the "Hall of Flame" cache.&nbsp; (Cachers&nbsp;admitted in the&nbsp;logs=
&nbsp;about&nbsp;trespassing onto the&nbsp;property&nbsp;during the hours=
 when the property was closed to the public.)</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DI=
V>Rand Hardin (RandMan)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</=
DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-L=
EFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV style=3D=
"FONT: 10pt Arial">----- Original Message -----</DIV> <DIV style=3D"BACKG=
ROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt Arial; COLOR: black"><B>From:</B> HighwayHavoc=
</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Sent:</B> Friday, January 10, 2=
003 4:19 PM</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>To:</B> listserv@azg=
eocaching.com</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Az-G=
eocaching] Trespassing?</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>I=12m still relatively new=
 to AZ so I=12m still learning<BR>how things work here. I logged a cache =
this morning<BR>that, together with two others brings the question to<BR>=
mind, =13At what point do we say, =11I shouldn=12t go over<BR>there=12=14=
? I ask this because for these three caches<BR>I=12ve had to go through a=
 barbed wire fence, pass<BR>between =13No Trespassing=14 signs and hike a=
 quarter-mile<BR>off-trail in a park where we pay a per vehicle fee to<BR=
>maintain the existing trails.<BR><BR>Mark A. Pederson<BR>aka Highwayhavo=
 Yahoo!?<BR>Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.<BR>http=