[Az-Geocaching] Oregon bureaucrats propose using GPS to track each driver's mileage

Mike Ingoglia listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 14:40:01 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0DAA_01C2B591.7E5E2660

Since Oregon has cheap license tags and no sales tax they have to pay =
for the roads somehow. . . although I would prefer the cost of tags =
increasing before I'd like to see vehicles monitored by GPS...  One =
struggle they're going to have to face is the same struggle we face with =
tree cover... how to prevent the people of Oregon from taping a thin =
piece of lead on top of the sensor when they're going into the city.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: ken@highpointer.com=20
  To: listserv@azgeocaching.com=20
  Sent: Monday, January 06, 2003 2:06 PM
  Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Oregon bureaucrats propose using GPS to track =
each driver's mileage

  I heard this on Rush Limbaugh's morning update on KFYI.  Rush =
described a plan being considered in Oregon where the state's Department =
of Transportation would attach a GPS device to each car and track the =
mileage driven by each motorist.  The state officials would use the =
mileage recorded from each driver to tax that driver accordingly to pay =
for road repairs.

  I was incredulous to believe that such an Orwellian plan could be =
seriously considered anywhere in the USA.  Adopting such a proposal =
would be a clear violation of our civil liberties and constitutional =
rights.  Therefore, I had to find out for myself whether it is true that =
such a plan is being considered.  The results of my research show that =
this is actually a proposal by an Oregon State task force.  Here are =
some articles of commentary about this nutty scheme:

  http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/1/2/101712.shtml
  http://www.cnsnews.com/Politics/archive/200301/POL20030102a.html
  =
http://www.monokromatik.com/veethree/?viewNewsItem=3D1&newsitemid=3D627

  If, God forbid, this proposal is adopted, the government will be able =
to know wherever we are in our vehicles at any time, Big Brother-style.

  As GPS users and motorists (and, I hope, as Americans who cherish =
their freedoms and liberties), what do you think about this?

  Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

------=_NextPart_000_0DAA_01C2B591.7E5E2660

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Since Oregon has cheap license tags and =
no sales=20
tax they have to pay for the roads somehow. . . although I would prefer =
the cost=20
of tags increasing before I'd like to see vehicles monitored by =
GPS...&nbsp; One=20
struggle they're going to have to face is the same struggle we face with =
tree=20
cover... how to prevent the people of Oregon from taping a thin piece of =
lead on=20
top of the sensor when they're going into the city.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dken@highpointer.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:ken@highpointer.com">ken@highpointer.com</A> </DIV>
title=3Dlistserv@azgeocaching.com=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:listserv@azgeocaching.com">listserv@azgeocaching.com</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, January 06, 2003 =
2:06=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Az-Geocaching] Oregon =

  bureaucrats propose using GPS to track each driver's mileage</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <P>I heard this on Rush Limbaugh's morning update on KFYI.&nbsp; Rush=20
  described a plan being considered in Oregon where the state's =
Department of=20
  Transportation would attach a GPS device to each car and track the =
mileage=20
  driven by each motorist.&nbsp; The state officials would use the =
mileage=20
  recorded from each driver to tax that driver accordingly to pay for =
road=20
  repairs.</P>
  <P>I was incredulous to believe that such an Orwellian plan could be =
seriously=20
  considered anywhere in the USA.&nbsp; Adopting such a proposal would =
be a=20
  clear violation of our civil liberties and constitutional =
rights.&nbsp;=20
  Therefore, I had to find out for myself whether it is true that such a =
plan is=20
  being considered.&nbsp; The results of my research show that this is =
actually=20
  a proposal by an Oregon State task force.&nbsp; Here are some articles =
of=20
  commentary about this nutty scheme:</P>
  <P><A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/1/2/101712.shtml">h=
ttp://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/1/2/101712.shtml</A><BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.cnsnews.com/Politics/archive/200301/POL20030102a.html"=
>http://www.cnsnews.com/Politics/archive/200301/POL20030102a.html</A><BR>=
<A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.monokromatik.com/veethree/?viewNewsItem=3D1&amp;newsit=
emid=3D627">http://www.monokromatik.com/veethree/?viewNewsItem=3D1&amp;ne=
wsitemid=3D627</A></P>
  <P>If, God forbid, this proposal is adopted, the government will be =
able to=20
  know wherever we are in our vehicles at any time, Big =
Brother-style.</P>
  <P>As GPS users and motorists (and, I hope, as Americans who cherish =
their=20
  freedoms and liberties), what do you think about this?</P>
  <P><STRONG><FONT size=3D3>Ken Akerman</FONT></STRONG> (a.k.a.=20
  <EM><STRONG>Highpointer</STRONG></EM>)</P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0DAA_01C2B591.7E5E2660--