[Az-Geocaching] Oregon bureaucrats propose using GPS to track each driver's mileage

Mon, 6 Jan 2003 13:06:59 -0800 (PST)

--0-2041214850-1041887219=:46444

I heard this on Rush Limbaugh's morning update on KFYI.  Rush described a plan being considered in Oregon where the state's Department of Transportation would attach a GPS device to each car and track the mileage driven by each motorist.  The state officials would use the mileage recorded from each driver to tax that driver accordingly to pay for road repairs.

I was incredulous to believe that such an Orwellian plan could be seriously considered anywhere in the USA.  Adopting such a proposal would be a clear violation of our civil liberties and constitutional rights.  Therefore, I had to find out for myself whether it is true that such a plan is being considered.  The results of my research show that this is actually a proposal by an Oregon State task force.  Here are some articles of commentary about this nutty scheme:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/1/2/101712.shtml
http://www.cnsnews.com/Politics/archive/200301/POL20030102a.html
http://www.monokromatik.com/veethree/?viewNewsItem=1&newsitemid=627

If, God forbid, this proposal is adopted, the government will be able to know wherever we are in our vehicles at any time, Big Brother-style.

As GPS users and motorists (and, I hope, as Americans who cherish their freedoms and liberties), what do you think about this?

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

--0-2041214850-1041887219=:46444

<P>I heard this on Rush Limbaugh's morning update on KFYI.&nbsp; Rush described a plan being considered in Oregon where the state's Department of Transportation would attach a GPS device to each car and track the mileage driven by each motorist.&nbsp; The state officials would use the mileage recorded from each driver to tax that driver accordingly to pay for road repairs.</P>
<P>I was incredulous to believe that such an Orwellian plan could be seriously considered anywhere in the USA.&nbsp; Adopting such a proposal would be a clear violation of our civil liberties and constitutional rights.&nbsp; Therefore, I had to find out for myself whether it is true that such a plan is being considered.&nbsp; The results of my research show that this is actually a proposal by an Oregon State task force.&nbsp; Here are some articles of commentary about this nutty scheme:</P>
<P><A href="http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/1/2/101712.shtml">http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/1/2/101712.shtml</A><BR><A href="http://www.cnsnews.com/Politics/archive/200301/POL20030102a.html">http://www.cnsnews.com/Politics/archive/200301/POL20030102a.html</A><BR><A href="http://www.monokromatik.com/veethree/?viewNewsItem=1&amp;newsitemid=627">http://www.monokromatik.com/veethree/?viewNewsItem=1&amp;newsitemid=627</A></P>
<P>If, God forbid, this proposal is adopted, the government will be able to know wherever we are in our vehicles at any time, Big Brother-style.</P>
<P>As GPS users and motorists (and, I hope, as Americans who cherish their freedoms and liberties), what do you think about this?</P>
<P><STRONG><FONT size=3>Ken Akerman</FONT></STRONG> (a.k.a. <EM><STRONG>Highpointer</STRONG></EM>)</P>
--0-2041214850-1041887219=:46444--