[Az-Geocaching] Date problems on AzGeocaching.com

Brian LaFrance listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 22:23:25 -0700

Need any volunteers to help with the AzGeocaching.com site?  Being a
programmer myself, I can understand how quickly things can get out of hand
at work.  I have several side projects going on right now, but I would love
to add AzGeocaching.com to the list if there was something I could help
with.

Brian
Team LeapLab

-----Original Message-----
From: az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com]On Behalf Of Brian
Cluff
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2003 5:30 PM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Date problems on AzGeocaching.com

A few of you have written me both on the list and privately about some
caches showing up on the wrong date.
I've looked into the problem and found that it's very similar to last
years, fixed, new years problem.

This time around, the problem has to do with both the way the dates are
represented on geocaching.com and the fact that they are now static
pages that are only updated whenever the cache is updated in some way,
or in other words geocaching.com represents dates from the currentl year
as month day, and dates that aren't in the current year as month day
year.  That was just fine before, our program just had to assume that
dates with just month day were in the current year, but now that a lot
of the pages haven't been updated, the program is getting confused and
stamping dates as 2003 that in fact happened last year.
I have been extremely busy lately due to everyone in the tech department
but me either quiting, moving to a different position, or being hopitalized.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm not ignoring the matter,
just that I have to take care the the stuff the pays the bills first.

If the dates really bother you, you can just edit a log entry on the
page or the cache itself if you own it and just resave it without
changing anything and the page should be updated with the dates that the
program understands correctly.

Thanks for your patience,
Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek