[Az-Geocaching] Data download question

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 05 Jan 2003 17:49:49 -0700

Scott Wood wrote:

> I find the comma delimited download on the azgeocaching.com site to be
> very helpful for making road maps for urban caches.  Thanks Snaptek!
>
> I do have a question about customizing that data.  Is it possible to
> download the comma delimited data for only caches that you have not
> already found?
>
> Let me know if I am just missing something.

Sort of... what you need to do is download the "Text - Comma Delimited"
file from your team's stat page and load it into any old spreadsheet you
have.  If you don't have a spread sheet, I highly recommend downloading
and installing Open Office from openoffice.org.  Its completely free in
every way, and I feel it more powerful than MS Office.

These instructions are for Open Office, but they should be similar for
MS Office (excel).
Once you have it loaded into your spread sheet, just select column "G"
and go to the "Data" pulldown window and select "sort".  You should be
able to just click "OK" in the new windows that pops up asking for
sorting details and it will sort that column in ascending order.  Then
it just a matter of selecting the rows that have whatever data you DONT
want, then click on one of the selected cells with the right mouse
button and select "delete cells" alternatively you can go to the "edit"
pull down menu and select "delete cells".

You should be left with just the data that you want.  Then just simply
re-save it into a csv file and import it info whatever program you
wanted to use it for in the first place.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek

Everyone shoule definatly check out Open Office though.  It's an
immensly powerful program that you can use forever at no cost, ever.  If
you feel you need a boxed copy of the software with a manual and support
Sun sells the exact same program with the addition of the book, some
clip art and support for $60ish.

Anyway, sorry to sounds like a spam, but at least I'm not trying to sell
you anything... sometimes things in like are free.