[Az-Geocaching] Gasoline in Prescott; recommendations for laptop computers and digital cameras

Brian LaFrance listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:52:29 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01C36709.2681C030

Be careful getting a laptop with a fast processor that is not built on the
Centrino technology.  I have been reading lately that many new laptops with
processors over 1.0 GHz get extremely hot.  There have even been several
reports of fires caused by overheating processors.  My laptop has a 1.0 GHz
processor in it and it usually gets too hot to sit on my lap after a couple
of hours of being on.  It has to fans to vent the heat, but they just cannot
keep up with the heat.  You also want to check on how loud the vent fans are
on any notebook you look at.  There's nothing like sitting around trying to
work in silence with a screaming fan in front of you.

As far as digital cameras go, I am on my second Kodak digital and have had
no problems with either.  I have several friends that are also very
satisfied with their Kodak cameras.  As Bill states, the optical zoom and
resolution are what you want to focus on.  Several cameras promote special
features that you'll never use.  Another item that you want to look into is
the type of media the photos are saved on.  Compact Flash seems to be the
least expensive right now and is very dependable.  IMHO, stay away from Sony
products that use Memory Stik media.  These Memory Stiks are only compatible
with Sony devices.  All of my electronic devices take compact flash cards,
so I can swap them across units easily.  Once you decide on a model, shop
around.  Ebay is a good place to look for digital cameras.  Just make sure
that the camera has a US warranty.  Alot of camera shops out of NY that sell
dirt cheap cameras are selling imports that are not warranted.

-Brian