[Az-Geocaching] Letter to the Editor

Brian Casteel listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:38:41 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_012D_01C36678.BAAE9C60

I too am successful in my writing and having it printed.  More than 20 =
submissions to date that I can recall.  Depending on the topic, I've had =
some edited, others as long as this were left in its entirety.  I've =
learned 'how' to write for publishing, and I'm fairly confident this =
will make it to print.  If I lean too far to one side, they usually =
censor it in the form of non-publishing.  We shall see, as it should be =
a week or so (possibly less) that it should show up.

Brian
Team A.I.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: William Noll=20
  To: listserv@azgeocaching.com=20
  Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 5:27 PM
  Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Letter to the Editor

  As a successful Letter-to-the-Editor writer, I can tell you that =
unless you're doing a 'My Turn' segment, it's a bit too long. Newspapers =
like them short and sweet, usually with a rhetorical bent. If it appears =
as though you know more than the editor (or the writers) about the =
subject, they won't print it unless you are someone very important. And =
worse, a really well written letter is often 'edited' for 'length or =
clarity', often missing the writers original point. Think like an 8th =
grader, that's the reading level the paper is written for. And don't be =
technical, Journalism majors and Liberal Arts college grads have a real =
problem with big words!

  Bill

    ----- Original Message -----=20