[Az-Geocaching] Re: Az-Geocaching digest- inaccurate stats.

Pat Thompson listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:51:01 -0700

I've read the latest list serve "munged stats" submittals after
forwarding our concern(this morning-8-10-0) about inaccurate
stats on the Az.Geocaching page. I''m not sure if these notes are a
response to my inquiry or just other cachers expressing
concerns similar to the ones I had. We have never found an out-of-state
cache, yet the page shows that we have 12. These
12 have been subtracted from our legitimate Arizona cache finds. We have
noted similar inaccuracies in the past and
reported them. One was corrected and the other never was adjusted to
reflect the accurate facts. I am not sure whether
certain in-state caches have been classified as out-of-state for a
legitimate reason, or if the software has a programming defect.

If necessary,I will identify the erroneously labeled caches, although
since none of the found caches were out-of-state,
it would seem like a relatively easy proposition to simply reflect all
of the caches as in-state.I have recently attempted
to reach someone at the az.geocaching @geocaching.com site, but there
was no reply and no change in the stats.
Several months ago I was able to contact someone at that site, and was
advised that they wanted to be informed
about any inaccuracies in the stats, and that is why I have continued to
pursue this issue. However, the issue is
not a major concern for me, and I will be more than happy to let it
rest, if no response is forthcoming. I am not
a premium member of the geocaching site, so I hardly feel entitled to
register a concern, and recognize that I have
no right to complain about a service I did not pay to receive. Further,
we appreciate all of the time, energy and technical
skill that has gone into designing, executing and maintaining both the
National and Az. Geocaching sites.

All the best,
Pat Thompson
Team Seeking