[Az-Geocaching] Geocaching accident (Crown King)

Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:49:51 -0700 (PDT)

To Ken: I am glad you were able to get your person who broke her ankle
out safely. I hope she is doing OK and recovers quickly. It is good to
remind everyone to always be prepared, don't take anything for granted
and just do a few relatively simple things to be safe. And in the
"big" scheme of things, "B.B. Cache" is not that remote, compared to
some places one could find themselves!

To Kyle and everyone: It is a real shame to read about the person who
died up near Crown King. Anybody who has been up to CK (either up the
Cleator Road from I-17, or down from Prescott/Mayer via Senator Hwy
(FR 52) knows that the road is very rocky, often narrow and curvy,
with steep sides in places. We were just up there last weekend, drove
the whole loop. In dry conditions, you still have to be very careful.
If you don't proceed relatively slowly, the dry/washboard curves are
very treacherous. It is soooo sad someone apparently did not exercise
the utmost caution, and lost control.

Two weekends ago, while assisting with communications/checkpoints at
the "Man Against Horse Endurance Race" that is held every year up here
on Mingus, one of our units came across a Mustang with 2 teen boys,
about a mile in (south) on the dirt road at the top, off the cliff,
and held up only by a rock. (They would have gone all the way down,
very far) It was on one of those wide, but washboard turns, and
obviously they had been going too fast and lost control. I was able to
call the Sheriff and give them the road location and GPS location. (I
actually heard them dispatch the call and the deputy wanted the GPS
coords!) Luckily, they kids were not hurt.

I'm just saying this as another example: please be careful and SLOW
down. Sorry, all, I didn't mean to be so long. I just get concerned
and hope talking about things like this (be prepared, be careful, slow
down) might prevent some other misfortune.

Peace,
Trisha "Lightning"
Prescott

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, "Kyle Hagan" wrote:

It was a busy weekend up there. This guy was in
Jeep and had an accident.
Its really bad to hear things like
these.

ARIZONA CENTRAL ARTICLE:
Phoenix man dies in car plunge off cliffAssociated PressOct. 14,
2002 07:47 AMCROWN KING - A 35-year-old Phoenix man was found dead
after
his carplunged over a 500-foot cliff near the tiny community of Crown
King.The Yavapai County sheriff's office called in a DPS helicopter to
helpin the recovering of the body of Clinton Keeler on Saturday.

Kyle
www.usa4x4.org