[Az-Geocaching] Going caching near Ft. Huachuca?

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 16:50:12 -0700

I thought some might find this interesting. For those that are going to be
caching in these areas... it might be of interest! For others, just an
interesting post. I pulled this off the AOPA web site (Aircraft Owners and
Pilots Association). I never really knew this, but they are going to be
conducting GPS interference tests during the posted dates and times.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/gpstesting.html

Fort Huachuca, Arizona is one of the effected areas. At the lowest
altitude... the area in which your GPS could be effected is about 95nm from
the test site. I would guess there are probably many caches within 95nm of
Ft. Huachuca. I have not looked at the cache map down there lately, but it
seems like I remember seeing a bunch of caches down south of that area.

The test states that IFR flights utilizing GPS navigation should not be made
in these effected areas during the posted dates and times due to GPS
inacuracy. So, I would guess if you were seeking some of the caches south of
Ft. Huachuca down there during the posted times.. your GPS might really play
games with you!!! :)

Just an interesting tidbit. Yall can read the web site more if interested.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind