[Az-Geocaching] EasyGPS and coordinates being off

Farquhar, Larry listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:10:54 -0700

Although you verified the datum, it still sounds like a different datum is
being used. Perhaps you could verify this by taking the coordinates that
your GPS shows, and convert the web site's WGS84 coordinate into NAD27 or
another datum and see if they then match your GPS. At least it would narrow
down the reason for the difference. Just a thought.

Larry Farquhar
Team "Wyle E"
www.happy-wanderers.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl Smith [mailto:threadhead@mac.com]
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 12:46 PM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] EasyGPS and coordinates being off

Please bear in mind that I am a beginner... that being said, I d/l the
entire waypoint file for all of AZ from the www.azgeocaching.com side. What
nice timesaver!

So I was off this weekend to find my first caches. Much to my surprise, I
had great difficulty. None of the caches I found were anywhere close to
where my GPS told me they should be. Most were 300 or so feet off.

So when I got home I checked the coordinates on the web site
(geocaching.com) and low-and-behold, by GPS did not have the same
coordinates. So I checked the raw data in the EasyGPS file and they appeared
to be correct, but not so in my GPS. I double checked and my GPS is set for
WGS84 datum.

Is EasyGPS mucking up the coordinates, or is it my GPS?

BTW, I still found all the caches :-)

--
Karl Smith +-+ Threadhead
AKA- The Silent Yellow Dog Team