[Az-Geocaching] EasyGPS and coordinates being off

Karl Smith listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:45:57 -0700

Please bear in mind that I am a beginner... that being said, I d/l the
entire waypoint file for all of AZ from the www.azgeocaching.com side. What
nice timesaver!

So I was off this weekend to find my first caches. Much to my surprise, I
had great difficulty. None of the caches I found were anywhere close to
where my GPS told me they should be. Most were 300 or so feet off.

So when I got home I checked the coordinates on the web site
(geocaching.com) and low-and-behold, by GPS did not have the same
coordinates. So I checked the raw data in the EasyGPS file and they appeared
to be correct, but not so in my GPS. I double checked and my GPS is set for
WGS84 datum.

Is EasyGPS mucking up the coordinates, or is it my GPS?

BTW, I still found all the caches :-)

--
Karl Smith +-+ Threadhead
AKA- The Silent Yellow Dog Team